Error Low PPo2 cause in OC Rec dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What would be considered not acceptable? I will be doing my dry suit classes around 9k, my guess is .17 will cause an error which is fine, but for diving from sea level to 9k is there a “safe” setting to leave it in?
I would not set it below .17.
.16 will support life but you will be noticeably lightheaded after a few minutes.

At 9k feet, surface ppO2 is 0.15 atm. You survive just fine there on the surface (presumably).

FWIW, the FAA mandates pilots use supplemental oxygen if they will be above 12,500 ft for more than 30 minutes. That's 0.131 atm ppO2.

TDI and PADI trimix courses (and I suspect other agencies) state you should use travel gas if ppO2 is below 0.16 atm.

Just some data points for your consideration.

At an elevation of 9K your PPO2 will be 0.148 atm. As Tyler mentioned, you need to change the settings using the OC tec mode.

Thank you, I spend a fair amount of time at altitude. Have a longs peak trip, 14k coming up and seem to survive. I appreciate the help, was looking at the tables with levels/altitude and I hike/mtn bike in low levels, but you really don’t notice too much. It is interesting but outside my pay grade. Just want to make sure I stay safe:)

Back
Top Bottom