Equipment Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MechDiver once bubbled...

I was being facetious.

Lighten up, geez.

MD

I was hoping that was the case. Unfortunately, the idea you facetiously put forth seems to be the serious philosophy of a number of LDS's. It was what caused me to minimize my dependence on LDSs and has probably oversensetized me to those kinds of shops.

so i should tell people to screw off when they email me saying they can't figure out how to get their interface to work or can't download the software? Or should I say, paypal me $25 and I'll tell you. Thats the attitude you seem to condone. Yes, I did sell them the interface but my point is that you seem to think that if they don't know how to do it already and choose to buy it that way anyway that they're free game. Maybe you are right partially or to a certain extent, but what will do you think people would say if I took that same attitude. You earn customers by being helpful and going about and beyond. Not by taking advantage of someone one will most likely soon learn that what they were ripped off on these "setup" charges. My "ex" LDS did it to me a couple times before I new better. In a short few months I went from thinking he was an ok guy to thinking I'd never give him another dollar. This coincided with me becoming much more knowledgeable about many aspects of diving and equipment service as well. Who lost out in the long run... he did because I have a lot of years of diving left in me. The couple hundred bucks extra he got out of me is nothing compared to the money I will spend over the next 30 years at another shop.

jamiei once bubbled...
In my opinion, any lds that charges more than $15 to do this is just taking advantage of a diver's lack of knowledge which is a totally corrupt way to do business. Oddly, some people still condone this. I rarely walk into a dive shop where everyone is just busy as they can be. They're usually sitting around and should be glad to help out a diver for free (or even $15) in order to earn themselves a loyal customer.

Lilman had already shown where is loyalty lay. With LP. I don't think putting the reg together should rip a customer off but it should be enough to make an impression before his next purchase.

All of my dive buddies that buy off of the internet know going in, that if they bring their equipment in for me to service that they will be paying full price for parts and labor. I don't care how nice of a wife she is.

Lead_carrier once bubbled...

Lilman had already shown where is loyalty lay. With LP. I don't think putting the reg together should rip a customer off but it should be enough to make an impression before his next purchase.

All of my dive buddies that buy off of the internet know going in, that if they bring their equipment in for me to service that they will be paying full price for parts and labor. I don't care how nice of a wife she is.

I honestly don't feel my loyalty lies with anyone.. I checked out Dive Inn, I checked out LP, and a few LDS's that carried the parts I wanted. Two LDS's told me i shouldn't buy those parts I did, but instead buy Titatium reguators! Another said, Scuba Pro sucks, buy Apex (go figure since they were an authorized dealer for Apex and had 50% more of their marketing material than scuba pro. my guess, they got an extra commission for every reg they sold) I used to be sales man, I know how to sell products, and those guys saw an opportunity to try to win me over with products that were probably a little far beyond what I needed for my first set of regs.

I don't have a problem paying the 60 dollars a year for service and parts. Given what I've read on this board, Scubapro makes rather durable products. I doubt it will even come to that.. Need I even service every year since I only dive maybe 8-10 dives a year anyway?

I live in southern california.. There are almost as many dive shops within 20 square miles from my house as their are starbucks (wee bit sarcasim), and I go in there from time to time.. I do see equipment that looks appealing, and yes I do chat with the store owners (and yes they typically are just hanging out talking about their most recent trip) and I listen to what they have to say.

Then again, I do the research for items on my own. I use this board, I use my friends who dive, and I use the websites of the products to physically compare my purchase.

When it comes down to purchase time.. I have all my homework done, and am ready to make an informed decision.. Last step, price.

I typically check out online sites first cause its a little easier than driving down to an LDS. Then i visit the shops and I can't understand why they would mark up the same prodcuts 20-30% over cost? Thats the equivlant of like 8-10 repairs?

Granted, we live in an expensive town.. Rent is not cheap, owning a business is not cheap, but good god 30%?

And by the way, everyone who buys from online vendors is protected from crap by their credit card companies.. I tested all my equipment within two days of getting it and am going for a simple dive this weekend. Should I have any problems, I will call LP. If LP gives me the runaround, I will simply dispute the charge with my CC Company and let them help me out. I've done that in the past and they have helped me solve plenty of problems.

And yes, there are definate advantages from buying local, but then again, I haven't found any yet.. I find what i want, buy it, and go about my merry way.

I agree completetly with jamiei though.. I will leave a store very very content if the owner or sales clerk takes the extra few moments out of their not so busy day to assist me in assembling the gear. From that, low and behold that will be the next place I go when I need something unsual or something custom fit (like a wet suit, which I wont' buy online). And I will subscribe to their newsletter and find often times spend my money with them in the form of training, or dive trips, which I get more out of anyway.

Anyhow, let the remarks fly folks! =)

I gotta get back to work, otherwise I wont' be able to afford the airfills if i get fired.. LOL

Paul

jamiei once bubbled...
so i should tell people to screw off when they email me saying they can't figure out how to get their interface to work or can't download the software? Or should I say, paypal me $25 and I'll tell you. Thats the attitude you seem to condone. Yes, I did sell them the interface but my point is that you seem to think that if they don't know how to do it already and choose to buy it that way anyway that they're free game. Maybe you are right partially or to a certain extent, but what will do you think people would say if I took that same attitude. You earn customers by being helpful and going about and beyond. Not by taking advantage of someone one will most likely soon learn that what they were ripped off on these "setup" charges. My "ex" LDS did it to me a couple times before I new better. In a short few months I went from thinking he was an ok guy to thinking I'd never give him another dollar. This coincided with me becoming much more knowledgeable about many aspects of diving and equipment service as well. Who lost out in the long run... he did because I have a lot of years of diving left in me. The couple hundred bucks extra he got out of me is nothing compared to the money I will spend over the next 30 years at another shop.

Gad. Talk about the molehill to mountain syndrone.

The issues aren't even close to being similiar. You're argueing for the sake of argument, and I don't really care how you get along with your LDS, or if you get customers, or what your attitude is. If you can't understand the point, just say you can't understand the point.

I'm not sure if this is a "sheesh" or a "horsepucky". Either way, nuff said.

the point seems to be a lot of guys think by overcharging someone in this situation that they'll teach the customer a lesson and they'll think twice before buying from leisure pro again. Just the opposite is true. It is similar, very similar. Good business is good business and bad business closes dive shops. I like the guy that ripped me off... don't care for how he treats his customers or did treat them... his shop closed down not too long ago.

Anyone that provides a needed service should be compensated for it, but just because a person doesn't purchase from you doesn't give anyone the right to gouge them. Service prices shouldn't change. Everyone should be treated equally. It's ok to spoil great customers, but no ok to mistreat all others. I'm not against a shop making money, but I am against anyone taking unfair advantage over anyone.

I stopped by another LDS today and they had a board listing the prices for different services. To set up and bench test a reg they charged $65 while yearly service was only $35. I am sure that price reflects the ever expanding internet market. I sure am happy that I only paid $50.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom