Equipment servicing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Smitty

Reaction score
When I purchased my scuba gear I was told that the regulator (first and second stage) as well as the BC should be regularly serviced - say once a year. I understand the value in maintaining your equipment in top working order, after all we depend on it for life support. Therefore I fully inted to have my equipment serviced by my LDS. The question I have is "does everyone do this?". I have heard some thoughts about having the regulator serviced and not the BC, or having the BC serviced every other year. It seems that there may be a notion out there that the BC does not need regular attention.

What does everyone else think? Do most people have both serviced annually??

Thanks!

Well, a BC has less "moving parts" than a Regulator - but still - I woudl get it serviced once in a great while - I don't think once a year will do you any harm - it's also a question of how well you take care of it and how much you dive...
I had the dump wire break on mine once, there are other ways to dump air, but it did make the dive a little more interesting - i would probably recommend that you don't try that...

T

Warranties being what they are today,it's a good idea to keep them in force by following the maintenance schedules.

Most dive equipment was not serviced yearly, perhaps every couple of years, but it was entirely up to you; there was no one around to require or browbeat you to do so. Often there were no repair depots anywhere near but the main reason was that dive gear was perceived as being reliable. Companies like USD bragged that their regulators had been in use for X years without one fatality traced to mechanical failure. Indeed, the ads were truthful, the two hose regs and other gear of the time were very reliable. Exceptions, like wetsuits, could be easily repaired by the user.

As diving gear became more complex, there were growing pains. Certain components such as the inflator valves on BC's had reputations for freezing up due to salt. The designs were improved. Back then, regulator high and low pressure hoses would fatigue at the joint. Stress relief boots saved the day. Almost all of the old problems are like that, history. Oh, there are still recalls and shop bulletins detailing various problems and if you have a piece of gear which is new to market, you will want to be aware of any such goings on. Avenues like this one can help, BTW.

One reason for the current stipulation of yearly service follows from the original motivation for yearly checkups by doctors, economic. Churn the business, bring customers in. This started with Scubapro and their marketing blitz(scuba schools) in the early "70's. It caught on.

Like the human body, regulators are basically reliable devices, same applies to most other diving stuff. However, neither take well to repeated adjustments and especially assembly and disassembly. In this vein, dive equipment is made of rather soft, fragile materials; brass, rubber, fabric, plastic. In spite of this, most of the gear as assembled by the FACTORY is quite durable assuming common sense maintainance. The various parts, even those considered "expendable" such as O rings, last a long time. However, whenever tools such as wrenches, spanners, dental picks, screwdrivers, etc are applied to these devices there is a small but detectable amount of damage. Should the carefully spec'ed parts be inadvertantly or intentionally substituted with something else, even a tiny error such as an O ring of different durometer, there is potential for trouble. A bit of dirt or a flake of chrome falling into a high pressure block goes a long way. There is also the potential of human error of a type leading to especially dramatic problems.

So, when do you overhaul or have your equipment "inspected" by a shop tech? That's up to you. If it's a vintage piece of gear with some known problem like the inflator valve, yearly, or better yet, replace it. For example, get a newer type with a booted, sealed valve and extend that service out to maybe 3 years. A modern regulator, 3 years. Valves, 5 years. At least, that's what I do. I work on much of my gear but will definitely take something which I'm not familiar with to a pro. Can you repair a computer? I can't.

It's up to you to decide how much grief your gear takes as a result of travel, handling, diving, heat, pollution, etc. It would take a lot to justify yearly checkups. If you feel your life could be in danger and the thought of unreliable "life support" gear makes you hyperventilate, do the yearly thing. Similarly, if your warranty requires it, do what you have to do.

Devjr,

Thanks for that little essay - that's some good points and food for thought - I learn more here evryday...

T

Devjr,

Well, I hate to dissent with a fellow retiree, but I feel like a few words are in order. Your are correct to write that every time you turn a screw, nut, bolt, whatever, there is some wear, but it is minor: metal on metal, metal on plastic, etc. contact happens all the time without excessive wear. Would you have someone not use quick disconnects because of the metal-to-metal wear? I suspect not.

What I do worry about is the heavy-handed tech who might cross thread something or crush an o-ring that is cockeyed, etc. And that is why I went to a shop that was recommended by some finicky, long-time divers. So we have annuals done on our regs, depth gauges and computers--and so far, so good. Now, I know that is what the guy said who jumped off a 30 story building as he was passing the 10th floor, but........

BC's we treat differently: I check the hose connections, o-rings, etc. myself. I also wash them very carefully--including the inside of the "bladder" at the end of a dive trip. I use fresh water in our room to do that because the rinse tanks are usually a mixture of fresh and salt water. I also check for leaks in the bladder by inflating the BC and putting it in the bathtub--usually before we take off on a trip.

I have changed the batteries on our dive computers with no ill effects, but that is the extent of my fiddling with it! But, I admit, when you read the manual, it makes you hesitate to open the damn thing, but I have repaired all sorts of delicate stuff over the years and it did not seem so forboding. A year later I changed it again and all was well! And is still so! But you sure need to be careful with that o-ring!

Okay, fellow retiree, fire away!

Joewr

Back
Top Bottom