Equipment repair tech?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been looking into some classes that offer a certification, not quite sure how legit they are. There is one in Va. that looks promising. I am thinking of using a week of vacation, and taking the course. I have an extensive mechanical, and technical backgound and am really looking forward to learning something new. My goal isn't to make a living at it though. If I get a little part time work here and there, I'll be content. I just like to be self sufficient when at all possible.

I am the same. I will retire in maybe 3-5 years and wish to be able to look after my own gear given the lousy service I have had to date. I like my gear to be in good working condition and have found to date that you can pay good to excessive amounts of money and the service in the main is bad to disgusting. Without fail I have only had one lot of regs serviced where I would say the price was reasonable and the service was quality service, and that was Divers World in Cairns.

Had a number of regs serviced in Victoria from a number of service centre/LDS and not only were they expensive, but failed to service correctly.

SO on that basis I can understand why people wish to service their own gear.

The course I am taking is via Dive Industry Technician Service Course, scuba regulators spare parts, compressors, scuba tanks, regulator service manuals

I would have completed a course here but found that all that was offered in the main was bits and pieces and often more expensive than a complete technician course. I already service some of my regs and O2 clean them, but like to do things properly thus find out "what I don't know".

I will let people know how I go.

Just about finished my Dive Technician Course and I would recommend it totally. Very happy with the money I spent on this course. Very comprehensive and good hands on. Heaps of technical material available on their site. Wish I had of done it 12 months ago. It has filled in some of the things I didn't know. I am very comfortable now with regulator servicing and tank inspection/hydro.

Hi guys
Interesting reading - but there seems not to be any conclusions as to what is good and what is bad.
I have been looking at DIST equipment course in Thailand (www.scubaengineers.com) but it doesn´t seem to be popular in this forum - or what?
It´s a bit tricky for me, as I live in Denmark and it seems that I have to go abroad to obtain any kind of certifications.
Service parts are getting harder and harder to get hold of and I don´t quite trust e-bay suppliers (Atomic).

Has any of you any experience in these DIST courses? What alternatives are there - thinking european courses? Are there any global courses/certifications that can be obtained?

Coming to the US could be an alternative, but need some good advise, as to what to choose.

Thanks in advance.

Claus

Hi guys
Interesting reading - but there seems not to be any conclusions as to what is good and what is bad.
I have been looking at DIST equipment course in Thailand (www.scubaengineers.com) but it doesn´t seem to be popular in this forum - or what?
It´s a bit tricky for me, as I live in Denmark and it seems that I have to go abroad to obtain any kind of certifications.
Service parts are getting harder and harder to get hold of and I don´t quite trust e-bay suppliers (Atomic).

Has any of you any experience in these DIST courses? What alternatives are there - thinking european courses? Are there any global courses/certifications that can be obtained?

Coming to the US could be an alternative, but need some good advise, as to what to choose.

Thanks in advance.

Claus
Yes I have done the hydro/inspection, blending and scuba tech course and I would recommend them. Steve Burton is one very smart guy and knows his stuff. Lots of practical examples and very clear instruction.

Hi guys

Thanks in advance.

Claus
The courses are specced out to meet the UK HSE standards
ASSET
I contacted them a few years ago to try to start something similar in North America but all I got as a reply was an invite to go to the UK to take the UK based training which didn't follow Transport Canada / DOT SPECS. I was looking at $4k in course fees + flights and accommodations so I passed on the invite.

there a lot of prep courses you can take hog regs / deep6 /gas blender / vip / 02 technician/ fill station operator / that you can do without being affiliated with a shop ,that will make you more marketable to a dive center so there ARE things you can do

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom