equipment recert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gr8diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I havent gotten wet in nearly 15 years. My wife got sick and I spent 12 years caring for her. She passed away 5 yrs ago. I have recently re-married...my wife is also certified. We were thinking about taking a refresher course (I have nearly 100 dives, my wife has maybe 10-15).
My question is...I have a scubapro rec-tec bcd and scubapro 2nd stage and Octo as well as a scubapro Aladin Air computer....they have been stored in the house. Would it be possible to get them checked out and ready to use or would it be better to just rent when we dive? I know they are old but they were in great shape when I quit diving. The computer would probably need new batteries, if they are even available.
What are your thoughts?

I would start by stopping by your local Scubapro dealer. They should be fine after a servicing. Rubber parts inside and out still age out regardless of how much they are used.

The regs are made to last for decades if given reasonable care. They will need a service though. Hose ends too.

BCD's don't last quite as long. Before taking it in for servicing, I'd check if the bladder will hold air. Blow it up using the manual inflator, submerge in a tub and look for an ongoing trail of bubbles. If you get bubbles from a dump, then it's probably a cheap fix. Anywhere else, they may be able to patch it, but I'd wonder about the overall condition of the bladder.

As to the computer... Scubapro won't service it. Whether getting the battery replaced is even possible depends on which Aladin Air model you have. Take a look at Uwatec battery replacement service for more info or google your exact model name plus "battery replacement".

Frankly, unless money was really tight, I wouldn't bother. You can get a basic nitrox-capable computer for around $200.

Back
Top Bottom