equipment questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dotyj

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all:

Is there any such thing as an adaptor to make it easier to remove a low pressure inflator hose from a bcd? I can put the hose on pretty easily but because of poor finger strength I can't remove it. I really need to solve this problem.

Can a weight belt be worn with the release over a hip? I'm considering over my right hip to maintain using my right hand to undue the buckle.

I wasn't able to reach my weight belt release yesterday with all my gear on. My arms were just too short.

My first real experience with equipment and skills yesterday went well over all but I need to work out these problems if I'm to continue on in my scuba classes and pass.

James,

There are inflator hoses that have enlarged "bezels" on them, but for the life of me I can't remeber who makes them. I saw them in a shop in Port Clinton, Ohio during a class. DUI rings a bell but I can't be sure (I might be thinking of a drysuit inflator).

As for reaching your buckle, yes you can put it on your hip, but more divers who would be trying to assist you might not look there for it. It's usually worn in from or slightly to the right. If you're going to put it on the hip, I would certainly make sure that any dive buddy is fully aware of where that buckle is to be found.

Good luck in your class.

That's excellent advise. I know that moving a buckle goes against standardization so can be a problem.

Briefing my dive buddy about it will be a must.

I wonder if a painted buckle will help? Or is it just one more bright color to confuse people?

There is a website for disabled divers. I have the URL at work. Maybe I need to ask about bezels there too?

Thank you for your reply.

detroit diver once bubbled...
James,

There are inflator hoses that have enlarged "bezels" on them, but for the life of me I can't remeber who makes them. I saw them in a shop in Port Clinton, Ohio during a class. DUI rings a bell but I can't be sure (I might be thinking of a drysuit inflator).

As for reaching your buckle, yes you can put it on your hip, but more divers who would be trying to assist you might not look there for it. It's usually worn in from or slightly to the right. If you're going to put it on the hip, I would certainly make sure that any dive buddy is fully aware of where that buckle is to be found.

Good luck in your class.

dotyj once bubbled...

I wonder if a painted buckle will help? Or is it just one more bright color to confuse people?

There is a website for disabled divers. I have the URL at work. Maybe I need to ask about bezels there too?

Thank you for your reply.

It's not the color, it's the position. Your's is not where it's supposed to be!

Is is just a matter of practice for you to be able to reach your buckle in the correct location? If so, you would be much better off spending the time to learn the skill.

As for the website for disabled divers, I've never seen it, but they might be able to assist you.

Is there any such thing as an adaptor to make it easier to remove a low pressure inflator hose from a bcd? I can put the hose on pretty easily but because of poor finger strength I can't remove it. I really need to solve this problem.

the solution is to get someone to undo it for you. You don't want it coming off too easily... especially underwater.

Can a weight belt be worn with the release over a hip? I'm considering over my right hip to maintain using my right hand to undue the buckle.

Yes... just move the buckle to the right.

dotyj once bubbled...
Hi all:

Is there any such thing as an adaptor to make it easier to remove a low pressure inflator hose from a bcd? ...

Since you are taking classes, I assume you mean removing the low pressure hose from the inflator. Right? There are some brands of inflator hoses with a wider flange/collar on them that make them easier to remove/replace while the hose is under pressure. Zeagle is one but there are others.

This really is something you need to be able to do underwater so do whatever you need to to either strengthen those fingers, learn the tricks of doing it or replacing that inflator hose.

James,
If you're using a standard weight belt, you're going to find that moving the buckle is going to move the weight as well. By doing so you may end up off kilter so to speak. With the bukle on the right hip, the weight will be moved to the left hip & your trim will be off. You may tend to have fight to keep from rolling to your left.

The power inflator hose isn't always the culprit. The valve it connects to may be the problem.

Good luck

Hi Detroit Diver:

This is my obvious concern. I don't want to put my life or anyone else's life in undue danger. Diving can be risky as it is from what I've seen.

I just couldn't reach the buckle to undue it. Though I could just touch it. Maybe I can just move it a few inches to the right? I'll have to make sure my dive buddy knows what I've done.

Thanks for your help.

detroit diver once bubbled...

It's not the color, it's the position. Your's is not where it's supposed to be!

Is is just a matter of practice for you to be able to reach your buckle in the correct location? If so, you would be much better off spending the time to learn the skill.

As for the website for disabled divers, I've never seen it, but they might be able to assist you.

Hi Dee:

I'll ask my instructor Saturday about it. I really need to be able to remove the from the inflator. It won't take much adaptation, I can almost do it. I can move the collar back but not far enough.

I'll have to adapt the collar since finger strength isn't an option. I have a weird spinal muscular disorder that prevents good development of muscle tissue.

I otherwise have great dexterity and good range of motion for someone who spends up to 20 hours a day in a powerchair.

Dee once bubbled...

Since you are taking classes, I assume you mean removing the low pressure hose from the inflator. Right? There are some brands of inflator hoses with a wider flange/collar on them that make them easier to remove/replace while the hose is under pressure. Zeagle is one but there are others.

This really is something you need to be able to do underwater so do whatever you need to to either strengthen those fingers, learn the tricks of doing it or replacing that inflator hose.

Hi there:

Thanks for the input. I figured I wouldn't be able to use a belt like the one I used Saturday but would need one with weights that can be moved around a bit.

I'll be trying a different bcd this coming Saturday and I'll have a chance to try connecting and removing the hose.

thethumper once bubbled...
James,
If you're using a standard weight belt, you're going to find that moving the buckle is going to move the weight as well. By doing so you may end up off kilter so to speak. With the bukle on the right hip, the weight will be moved to the left hip & your trim will be off. You may tend to have fight to keep from rolling to your left.

The power inflator hose isn't always the culprit. The valve it connects to may be the problem.

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom