Equipment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LzyDvr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey,
I'm getting my first set of equipment soon and would like to know what you guys think about think about the Scubapro MK17/X650 Regulator and the Cressi Aqualight R bcd.

Pce :cool2:

what's wrong with S600 sec. stage?

The X650 has been discontinued and should be available at a very nice price with full warranty etc.

It compares very well to the S600 with similar performance.

The Mk 17 is superb.

Thanks alot and yeah im X650 cause its a bit cheaper lol.

but anyone knw much about the aqualight R. Other brands and products would be welcomed but im not really into back inflation yet.

Better to get into back inflation now, before you buy something you will replace with a back inflate. Why buy 2 BCs?

yeah but i feel like i have more control without the the back inflation...
ill think about it a bit more but if anyone could tell me a bit about the cressi aqualight R i would be really happy. but i'm still welcome to any other brands guys so keep these coming

i forgot to mention that since its discontinued would less people be willing to service it?

There may be a very few BCs out there that are universally hated, but pretty much all the others will all have people who love than and hate them. I would suggest skipping any weight integrated BC that relies on velcro to actually hold the weights in the BC, but there are fewer and fewer of those available (for good reason.) So as far as any specific BC, you personally have to figure out if it fits you well and has the features and traits you want. So you first have to figure out what it is you want and need.

BCs don't need much in the way of service, and what you might need to get serviced is generic enough the brand or age won't matter much. It's not like a reg where you will want to pay a fair amount of attention to your servicing options.

Lots of people on this board will try and talk you into a back inflate if not a BP/W. It's just a bias here. That may be the right thing for you, or not. You have to learn about and preferably try the options to decide for yourself. It may depend some on your type of diving too. I have a BI, but only because it fit best of what I tried. I had a jacket for 10 years before that which was also fine. And before that I had another jacket which was awful because it didn't fit right.

Not sure what you mean by "control" problems - if you explain people may have suggestions. Perhaps you mean on the surface, since underwater if you're swimming horizontally the air should be behind you in either case. Or if you had a BI or any BC that didn't actually fit right, that could result in problems. It may be related to your weight distribution, which for some people can be a bit fussier to get right than with a jacket.

yeah by control i meant while on the surface of the water i cant keep balance and seem to fall back horizontally.
and I'm a warm water diver i really only dive in Egypt but i want to start diving locally here in Ontario.
it also takes me a while to get the feel off how much weight i need so that could be the problem but right now i feel good at 11 kg (or pounds not sure what they use in Egypt) since i like to be a bit lower in the water then everyone else.

and about the back plate and wing, is it a good idea for a beginner diver cause i just got my junior open water and I'm getting my advanced next summer. uh when i in the water I'm sometimes a bit diagonal and not always horizontal. but if you guys think that BI or a backplate and wing would be a good idea i could try it out.

Thanks for all your posts,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom