equipment...own or rent?

Do you own or rent your scuba equipment?

• Own, spare money = more equipment

Votes: 211 98.6%
  • Rent, who needs to own renting is cheap

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandnew2Scuba:
the most experienced diver I know in the real world has been diving for 30 years with hundreds of dives logged and has never bought a single piece of equipment .

I suppose if I went ahead and dove on rental gear for 30 years I would get to know most brands and gear configurations so well it would be almost like having my own.

Upside of that is I could become a gear advisor and charge people. Downside is it seems a meagre turnover for 30 years of selfeducation.

Hell I was just too impatient.

I started buying my gear before the end of my OW course. Cost aside, trying to rent would completely alter my equipement set-up, since no one locally rents steel tanks, BP/W, or drysuits.

rongoodman:
trying to rent would completely alter my equipement set-up, since no one locally rents steel tanks, BP/W, or drysuits.

That's a point actually. When we do boat dives in fall or winter when the water is like 0-7 degrees it's always the least experienced divers that are most badly equipped for the cold because they have to go in rental 7 mm wetsuits.

It can be done sure if you know yourself and what you're getting into and I've done it myself on several occasions. Still, so many times I've seen those big army dudes lose their Gung Ho stuck on a dinghy somewhere between first and second dive.

The LDS I'm working for are changing now so you can actually rent the drysuits that we have to use for o.w during winter anyway.

Problem is that the same category of divers rarely know how to use one yet.

Maybe a little clarification, I said she's the most experienced diver I know, I left out she's really the only diver I know, besides the guy that taught my course but I don't expect to even see him again. I think she dives maybe one weekend a month, I plan to dive at least every weekend in the warm weather and as many cold weather dives as is possible, which is why I decided to buy. As for rental rates my LDS rents a full set of equipment for $60 per weekend or $90 per week, dry suits for $75 per weekend. I'm not sure if my closest LDS is her closest LDS but I'm sure the rental rates in this area have to be comparable.

I own my own including tanks. I purchased a full rig except for tanks when I began my OWC (with much help and guidance from my son-in-law who is former pararescue and very experienced). I live on the east coast of Florida and am able to dive one or two days a week which enduced me to add tanks to my gear. It has saved me money and I had the advantage of training on the gear I currently dive with. Not for everyone, but works for me.

Personally, I would rather own my own equipment so that I know it fits and that it will work everytime.Also I know the history and limitaions of my gear.
I have everything I need including tanks and weights.
If I travel on a ship or plane, I will leave the tanks and take everything else.

I went from being an occasional vacation diver needing a refresher every time I got wet, over the course of 10+ years, to being on track for over 100 dives this year alone, all because I finally bought my own gear.

A wetsuit that fits really well, and is not over-compressed rental with way too many dives to keep you warm. Gear that works well, works the way you expect it to, and is always available to throw in the car and go diving on a moment's notice. And while it was a big up-front cost, I no longer have to budget extra $ for rentals, and the associated pick up and drop off hassles, every time I want to jump in.

If you live near divable water (or vacation a LOT), you WILL dive a LOT more, and finally learn to fine-tune your diving skills, rather than having to get used to a different set of gear every time you get wet.

The wife and I bought all our gear a month before our checkout dives. We did the checkouts in brand new stuff. We bought tanks a few months later. We just got tired of running to the shop (almost an hour away) every time we wanted to go diving. Now we own several different set ups including over 25 tanks, a compressor, several regulators, a few bp/w's, several lights, scooters, wetsuits, dry suits, and on and on. And let's not forget the big van to carry everything in!

Dive-aholic:
The wife and I bought all our gear a month before our checkout dives. We did the checkouts in brand new stuff. We bought tanks a few months later. We just got tired of running to the shop (almost an hour away) every time we wanted to go diving. Now we own several different set ups including over 25 tanks, a compressor, several regulators, a few bp/w's, several lights, scooters, wetsuits, dry suits, and on and on. And let's not forget the big van to carry everything in!
You know you're a scuba addict when... your next choice of automobile is heavily influenced by how divegear-friendly it will be!

Back
Top Bottom