Equipment on Airplane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes you can take them on though often I get stopped and questioned about them after they go through the scanner. Out of six flights (all interstate not overseas) with stuff in my carry on I have been stopped four times to explain my regulators. Most wave me through as soon as they realise it is scuba equipment but one guy had a real issue with my first stage and reel saying I could hit them with the first stage and then tie them up with my reel :confused: That took a bit of effort not to have to go back to check them in...

If it weren't for the fact my other gear is *just* on the weight limits, I would put them in my checked luggage.

I've brought my computer (Pro Plus 2) and regulator with me as carry-on several times. The only I had to open up my carry-on was when I had a couple of lead weights with it. Apparently, the lead blocks looked like something that could go boom. My wife was surprised when they wanted to look at her carry-on. I forgot to tell her I put some weights in her carry-on as well.

Ron

I just got back from a trip w/ my rebreather, tanks, regs, computers, HID, wetsuit, fins, etc. etc. I raised some eyebrows in security, but the body cavity search wasn't all that bad and I made my flight :)

Just out of curiosity what did you mean that it doesn't make sense. . .

1) That bag when full is way too big to fit in the overhead. Example, I fly Delta all the time. Their carry-on allowance is approximately 22" x 14" x 9". My pullman is about that size and i've got to squeeze it in if I put anything in the outside pocket. Even if you make it on the plane, if' you're not in zones 1 or 2 there won't be any overhead space left and you may end up having to plane-side valet.
2) Rube Goldberg. That bag is overly complicated. Too many buckles, compression straps, et cetera.
3) Price. For $240 I'd rather buy multiple bags that will serve more than this one singular purpose.

What is your take (beyond it not making sense that is)?

MMM.....it's silly? It's too tedious to get into but for starters a bag that size, on the flights I've been taking, would be gate-checked at best and I don't want my regulators, gauges, canister light, back-up lights, masks, and back-up gauges gate-checked. I especially don't want my regulators dangling by the hoses from my "Fin Caddy" which would not hold my fins anyway.

I always carry on my regs and computer. I dont wish to donate either to a baggage loader or inspector. Be prepared to be pulled from line on occasion to explain a regulator to some undereducated TSA official. I also want to be sure that my reg and computer hasn't been jumped on a few times by the "ever caring" baggage handlers. I just got back from the atlanta area and the actually cracked my pelican box. The same box that got ran over by a firetruck and only suffered minor scrathes. ( dont ask how this happened)

In three years I have been pulled out of line twice. Once in Columbus, Ohio and once in Fort lauderdale. Regs both times.

As others have said, putting regs, computers,etc. in your carry-on bag is not a problem-just realize that you are at the mercy of the individual TSA/security person regarding how much of a search you will have to undergo.
In my experience, about 40% of the time I get waved through, sometimes with the scanner person asking "scuba gear?". The other 60% I'll get pulled aside for a hand search of the carry-on bag.
Also remember-no knives, and be careful of how many/if any spare batteries you have in the carry-on. The rules are not uniformly inforced. as before, it is VERY much dependent on the individual agent.
On a "lighter" note- one time the agent picked up my wrist mount computer, asked me what it was- I said "a dive computer". He asked me to turn it on, which I did. He got really nervous as the comp did its self diagnostic countdown...9..8...etc. :)
Enjoy your trip.

I always carry my regulator and computer. I tell the TSA person that I have a regulator and dive computer in my bag. I've been stopped on several occasions. Usually I am waved through.

However, on one occasion a few years ago in the Orlando airport I got pulled into a side room and was grilled. The one TSA person wanted me to show how the regulator works. I told him I couldn't do that without an air tank. He then said I was notgetting on the plane with that thing if I couldn't make it work. I was finally rescued by a very kind police officer who explained that it wasn't dangerous.

To end it all, the TSA "official" performed another search of my person and my bag just to show that he was in charge.

Be up-font with the screeners, it usually helps.

I have a padded bag that holds two reg setups along with dive computers, one for me and one for my husband. I usually have him carry that bag through security, so he gets the "what are all these hoses??" screening while I zip through with just the laptop and camera. :wink:

I don't feel comfortable checking the regs and dive computers, though, because I don't want them thrown around. Being stolen also would suck, but I see my reg and computer the same way I do my laptop. I just wouldn't put it in a checked bag. If I have space, I also carry my mask with me. That way, if my luggage gets lost, I can still dive with the equipment I really want. I could live with a replacement set of fins, I could rent a wetsuit, and I could even manage to dive with a rental BC (though I'd likely curse the poor fit the whole time), but I definitely prefer to have my own reg and computer, and a mask that fits right.

Allowing a little extra time for the possible screening and the "I have scuba gear in this bag" warning does help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom