Equipment for Adv Nitrox and Deco Proc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dschonbrun

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning to Take my Adv. Nitrox and Deco procedure courses (TDI/STI and IANTD) next month and was wondering what equipment it would make sense to purchase vs rent.

I have a technical single tank BP/W setup, with a MK25/S600, and will typically be traveling to dive.

I'm not sure how much doubles diving I'll be doing in future, so buying tanks, manifolds, an additional reg, and a doubles wing may not be sensible. That said, renting them is 50$ per day... 300$ for the 6 day course.

The one purchase I'm considering is an O2 clean reg for my stage/deco bottle. I can always use this for recreational diving as well... thinking this might be a sensible expense.

What are people's thoughts?

Cheers,
David

I'm doing my TDI course next month as well.

I have 2 mk25/s600's for my doubles. I was either going to get an O2 compatible reg for deco, or just rent/borrow one for the course.

I agree that buying double tanks, bands, manifolds, etc. is probably a waste of cash at this stage of the game... I am also planning on renting/borrowing those for the course.

So... I guess to answer your question in a concise way... I'd say - get the second reg. There's a lot of uses for a second regulator...

Don't show up to a class for your first time ever in doubles....they're not hard, but new gear is the last thing you want to worry about during a class.

Don't show up to a class for your first time ever in doubles....they're not hard, but new gear is the last thing you want to worry about during a class.

+2

If you don't own them and don't plan on buying them, then borrow them or rent them ahead of time. I'd recommend at least 10 dives on them before class. I'd also recommend considering an Intro to Tech course before Adv. Nitrox/Deco. Procedures. It helps immensely to work out the kinks in the equipment configuration as well as basic skills such as buoyancy, trim, valve drills, air shares using a long hose, etc.

I think you need a bag/sausage for deco. You can rent everything and buy afterwards. Make sure you discuss things with your instructor before showing up. He/She will be able to tell what you need and where to buy/rent.

I have a Sausage... would I need an additional one or a bag for the Deco tank?.. or are you referring to the fact that the Sausage or Bag can be used to create positive buoyancy if my BC fails?

When you're on your deco stops - you're supposed to shoot a bag.

I have a Sausage... would I need an additional one or a bag for the Deco tank?.. or are you referring to the fact that the Sausage or Bag can be used to create positive buoyancy if my BC fails?

You need a lift bag or DSMB to provide a deco platform/reference for decoing off the line. You will do both simulated deco using the anchor line as well as using a lift bag/DSMB and spool/reel.

If you're not diving a drysuit, the lift bag is needed as a source of emergency positive buoyancy in the event of a wing rupture.

I will be going back through the classroom & pool sessions of Adv. Nitrox & Deco procedures Tues. & Thurs. this week. I went through the classroom & pool about a year & a half ago. At that time I tried to do the class with my recreational BC & regs (as is allowed by IANTD). It proved to be completely NOT user friendly. At that point my instructor encouraged me to go to doubles, as I have an interest in eventually getting into technical diving anyway. It has, personally, taken me a little over a year & about 50+ dives in the doubles to become comfortable with them. SO for the class I will be using my double LP85's, with 2 MK25/S600 regs (primary on 7' hose), an AL40 deco bottle to be slung & an O2 cleaned MK25/S600, a bag & reel. Not sure when the open water portion will be. It will probably be decided by the class on Tues. Can't wait to see how it goes.:14:

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom