Equipment for a growing diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishydiver123

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi I'm a 14 year old jow diver and is deciding if it's a good idea to buy any equipment now, apart from mask, snorkel and fins. I only dive during the summer holidays and the occasional Easter break, and don't want to start splashing out on a bcd and regulators yet because of the annual service charges and I'll probably grow out of the bcd in no time. Is it a good idea to buy a cheap shortie wetsuit that definitely fits me for £40 rather than rent one for every dive? I also want to get a computer (Suunto Gekko). Is this a good investment?
I am planning to dive more often in the future, when I have finished my AOW. I dive in Egypt.
Thanks

Well, you can't outgrow a good set of regs and a computer, as well as a backplate and wing B/C setup (because it's continuously adjustable).

Now, that comes down to your thermal protection.

Personally, I'd recommend looking at the Henderson Neo-Sport line of wetsuits, they're inexpensive (about $75 US for a 3/2 or a 4/3) and do more than an adequate job.

The Gekko is a good computer.

Remember, many, many divers still continue to dive with an SPG, depth gauge and watch . . . they'll get ya anywhere you want to go.

Safe dives . . . . . . . . .
. . . and safer ascents !

the K

I tottaly agree with the reg set up and the back plate , you will always have that ,i own a steel plate from Hammerhead and it is bullet proof ,it will go to my great grand children it's that good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom