Equipment Exchange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sigh is right, I know who needs to read the guide again. Here let me make it easy

""This exercise creates an environment with unforeseeable difficulties that requires candidates to apply their experience, knowledge and creativity to
meet the demands of the moment. It is a problem solving evaluation and development tool only – it has no other applicatio
n..."
and
"Give buddy teams less than five minutes to discuss the exercise"

Now where in there does it say not to answer questions or give tips. It says buddy teams have 5 minutes to discuss it. If you answer questions you are in no way eliminating "unforseeable difficulties". The student will still have difficulties that they will have to over come. NOTHING ABOUT NOT ANSWERING QUESTIONS OR GIVING TIPS.

---------- Post Merged at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:03 PM ----------

Just so we are clear, from the 2012 PADI instructor manual, page 94. Zero mention of not sharing tips or answering questions on the exercise~

Exercise 5 — Equipment Exchange
In confined water, demonstrate the ability to effectively
respond to an unusual circumstance underwater by
exchanging all scuba equipment
(except exposure suits and
weights)
with a buddy while sharing a single regulator
second stage.
Conduct:
• Orient candidates to procedures for sharing a single regulator
second stage, including exhalation between breaths and not
covering the purge button as the regulator is passed back and
forth.
• Give buddy teams less than five minutes to discuss the
exercise.
• Have candidates begin sharing a single regulator second stage
in water too deep in which to stand, exchange equipment and
continue sharing air until they reach shallow water.
• Do not assign problems – allow candidates to resolve any
naturally-occuring ones.
Score Criteria
5 Task performed in a well-thought-out, efficient
and purposeful manner with no sign of
problems; very low anxiety level. Looks routine
and appears easy.
4 Task performed competently with a relatively
low anxiety level. Challenges encountered were
easily and efficiently handled.
3 Complete exchange occurred without
surfacing. However, numerous challenges were
encountered that delayed the speed and
efficiency of the performance. This score is also
appropriate for a diver overly dependent on
another.

Do not assign problems – allow candidates to resolve any
naturally-occuring ones.
Score Criteria
5 Task performed in a well-thought-out, efficient
and purposeful manner with no sign of
problems; very low anxiety level. Looks routine
and appears easy.
4 Task performed competently with a relatively
low anxiety level. Challenges encountered were
easily and efficiently handled.

I interpret this to mean that they're to do it on their own. Yes, it doesn't say to NOT ASK questions but implies that....at least to me. Happy diving. Dive safe.

Here's what helped me without actually rehearsing with a buddy:
I practiced taking my gear on and off while dropping my regulator each time I took off a piece of gear or put a piece of gear on. I worked on this until it became easy and rhythmic. Basically, drop reg, take off fin, pick up reg and get a couple of breaths, drop reg, put fin on, pick up reg, two breaths. Through all my equipment, over and over again, in my pool. I did this a for about an hour, two or three days in a row before I did my exchange. I was very comfortable with my exchange. It also made me more comfortable with buddy breathing, which I hadn't done in awhile.
While I was at it, I did a ton of mask removals and replacements, and some of the other skills, working on slowing down and concentrating on the critical steps of each skill.

Now that's fair it's our interpretation of the words different I'll go with that more than telling someone they need to read it. Good diving for you too!

Another angle to this: It is probably true that some people are more prone to being able to solve things on the spot, improvise to get a solution, etc. The gear exchange involves a number of already practised scuba skills. Does successfully breezing through an equipment exchange mean the diver(s) are good at solving unexpected problems or simply very good at all the skills and buddy breathing? Does how well or poorly one does on this "test" mean one will be a better or worse "thinking" DM? Is the ability to "think on your toes" inate, or can it be learned through exercises like the equip. exchange? If someone were in college studying to be a classroom teacher and was suddenly told they would have to be in front of a class with 5 minutes to prepare, I would imagine some would do well and others would bomb out. Failing such a test would obviously not mean that person would never have the "stuff" to be a good teacher. On the other hand, if the teacher to be has poor knowledge of the subject matter there is a definate problem. If the DM in training isn't up to snuff with the demonstration skills and that's why he flunks the exchange, likewise a problem.

I didn't read everything because it seemed to become a discussion of whether it was alright to ask for advice. If nobody has mentioned it for reasons of not wanting to give something away or because they have not thought about it, think about weight. You don't exchange weight belts, but if you have a weight integrated BC then you might think about wearing a belt. Otherwise you have a tendancy to float off. I'll somewhat agree with James R too, don't over think it. By the time I did it, I had performed the skills of removing and replacing my mask and removing and replacing my BC several times getting to a point of demonstration quality. Adding changing fins and buddy breathing really doesn't make it that much harder. I was VERY nervous when I got started but once you are doing the exercise you relax and start thinking about what you are doing. Just basically pregame jitters. Relax and it will end up being fun. If you can wear the other persons fins (or maybe starting with their equipment) you might even think about using extra weight to keep you secure on the bottom. I know from experience that trying to orally inflate a BC when you can't kick for fear of losing fins 4 sizes to small is not an easy thing to do. Probably was pretty funny for those watching though. Relax, have fun and good luck. For the contingent that thinks the advice is unfair, sorry. I guess he still has to decide whether it is good advice.

Back
Top Bottom