Equipment Exchange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

Just been going over my new Instructor Manual, looking over the Divemaster section (as I am about to do my DM in Cyprus). I am not the fittest of people, and may drop to a 2 or 3 on my swims. So what I need to do, is get my treadwater and equipment exchanges to a 5 and then buddy breathing to the surface. Is there any tips you can give me for the equipment exchange. I think I've only ever done the buddy breathing once and seperate to my equipment removal and and donning underwater.

I assume there will be time to practice this skill, prior to being given my final mark?

Cheers,

Bobby

The equipment exchange is more of a mental exercise than anything else. Remember it's not timed so if you can calmly buddy breath you are 90% of the way there.

As far as practice goes, I didn't have any per se. But by the time one does the divemaster course, ideally the candidate should be completely comfortable with all diving skills including removing gear and buddy breathing. So my advice would be to get comfortable with all the skills you'll be tested on so the course will be more about becoming a good assistant rather than developing dive skills.

For example, if going into the class the candidate has reservations about clearing a mask, he would have to focus on overcoming his reservations on top of learning how to demonstrate the skill to an OW student.

Last edited:
We were given no notice of which day it would be and on that day 5 minutes to discuss a plan with the buddy. Fortunately, we were about the same size and it was a piece of cake (later I did it again with a very small woman and not so smooth a go of it). Starting off with each other's equipment on and switching back to your own was allowed and made it really easy. If you can go a little while longer without your 2 reg breaths you can get more done, but as stated, there is no rush either. I don't know what would constitute a 5--we did the course just before it was changed to the rating system. You just had to complete it any way you could and you passed. I can't remember the order we switched things, but we did them together of course --ei. switch fins--first you go then me. Next, masks, etc. whatever. You have to think a bit about the mask switch if you close eyes when your masks are off.

Just make sure that in your 5-minute prep with your buddy that you come up with a system--head to toe, is one way. You just both have to be on the same page rather than fumbling through who's taking off what next to exchange.

Do one bit of equipment at a time (e.g., don't both take off masks simultaneously--first one takes off the mask and hands to the other, then the other takes off the mask and hands it to the first). Don't try to accomplish the air share transfer and the gear removal/replacement at the same time--just do one thing, and take your time. Get into a breathing rhythm before you remove anything at all.

Don't spoilt it for Bobby! Like LowVizWiz said, its all about being mentally prepared. A big part of being a Divemaster is being able to anticipate problems and plan accordingly, and also to deal calmly with any unexpected ones in the water. If we're going to tell you how to prepare then we are doing half of the exercise for you!
All I will say is, enjoy it! And if you don't make it on your first go count it as one of those "learning experiences". :)

I dunno. I think part of being a DM is anticipating issues and thinking them through ahead of time rather than simply dealing with crap when it comes up. I give the OP props for thinking ahead as far as he has and posting the question on SB.

Giving a DMT clues about how to think through a task-loading exercise like the equipment exchange is a way of training him to anticipate issues in a way I want my DMs to do. Even when we train instructors in the IDC, we give them lists of typical mistakes students make so that they can think through how they might deal with each one of them. To me it's just the first step in the process of developing a professional outlook rather than a game or a spot quiz or something.

In all fairness, Bobby Demosthenis, you shouldn't be asking advice from those who have done it. This is for you and your buddy to work out. If you don't get it right the first try, you'll learn more than by following someone's advice and getting it right the first time. You need to know what doesnt' work also.

I'm going to have to agree with Quero on this one. Problem solving is what the exersice is about and problem solving has many different areas. Planning ahead, having the sense to ask and then sorting it out is all part of it. The OP isn't asking for a pass, he is asking for advice on how to make a situation work. I think asking questions like this is a good thing in solving problems. I would be less impressed by someone that was told they had to do something they had never done weeks prior to doing it and showed up that day and just tried to make it work. I asked questions before mine, not on the net, but of others that had done it and I'm sure many others have too of others that have done it, their instructors, ect.

With that said, if you can select someone the same size as you if your able, understand each others gear, start in the others divers gear, have a clear plan. When I did mine the person breathing would hold up his fingers to count what breath he was on so both divers would get the timing on when the reg switch was happening. Good luck, work the problem and it have fun with it.

I was getting some help on the skills from a different shop's instructor (in the U.S.). He put all my equipment on the pool bottom and had me go down (maskless) and put it all on. Not the same difficulty as the exchange, of course, but it may be a way you can do a little practising on your own. Ei.: mimicking buddy breathing as you put the stuff on? Just a spur of the moment thought. Good practise anyway.

As some others have stated, the ability to problem solve is a key assessment factor in this exercise.

Wouldn't it be nice to gain an awareness of how you cope with unforeseen circumstances when in a leadership position?

You won't be able to ask for internet advice for future problems that'll arise unexpectedly when you're working as a DM..... and you will encounter many of those in the coming years... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom