Equipment confusion!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zafra

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I've done some surfing and searching, yet haven't really found any answers yet.
I apologize if this has been asked a dozen times. I just haven't found it. :/

Starting certification in May/June at Quiescence Diving in Key Largo. Came to us highly recommended and they've been greatly helpful when I've called for class information. Haven't set dates yet since it'll be a surprise birthday present for my partner. Anywho, I'm 28F/5'4"/120lbs and he's 29M/5'10"/160ish lbs, both on the skinny side of athletic, good swimmers (myself a little better as I used to be a swim coach). I'm looking into equipment pricing and bundles/kits/sets and... I'm overwhelmed. The language is all new to me and there isn't a dive shop close enough that I could go get all my questions answered.
I know, from reading through the various forum pages, that equipment we pick is going to be mostly by preference. Seeing how we have zero experience, we also have no preference. So... to begin the onslaught of questions...

1) What's the best route for equipment use during certification? Rent gear for the 5-day course and buy afterwards? Or buy beforehand and hope our purchases work?
2) As of right now, we'd be mostly "vacation" divers. We're in Miami, but more everglades side. Would buying equipment right away be worth the cost? Or would renting be more feasible for the "occasional diver"?
3) Typically, what is the base gear one needs to get started?

Thanks in advance for the advice. Any little bit helps.

Last edited:
Ha! That would be a bit more than skinny.

This is what I get for not proofreading.

Most shops include basic equipment (BCs, regulators, and tanks, and wetsuits) in the cost of the class, but this would be something about which to inquire. Students are expected to provide masks (which makes sense, because they HAVE to fit), fins, snorkels, and booties. I would highly recommend NOT buying anything other than the minimum before your class, because you don't even know if you are going to like this activity, let alone how often you might want to do it. It's a big investment to make, only to discover that you don't enjoy it or you can't clear your ears!

It is quite possible for the occasional diver to rent equipment when it is needed. The downside of this is that then you have two problems . . . you don't dive very often, and every time you do, the equipment is different. This makes it hard to develop facility with using the gear, and also makes it somewhat difficult to figure out how much weight you need and get that weight distributed for good balance. If you think you are going to dive at least several times a year, it probably makes sense to buy your own stuff. But don't do it until after your class, and look over some of the "New Diver Wanting Advice on Gear" threads here before you lay your money down. Shops work VERY hard to push you into the highest profit margin equipment, and quite often, you would be as well or better served with something significantly less expensive.

1) Usually all you need is mask/snorkel/fins for certification, the rest is provided by the shop
You can buy the mask and the shop should be able to help you get you need. I don't recommend going crazy on a snorkel, it is very simple to use and you don't need it to be fancy at all, you aren't going to be using it much anyways on scuba, maybe a foldable one is a good option, fins CAN be a bit more tricky, and is a touchy subject here on this site.

2)If you're diving a few times a year, renting is probably a better option, just keep in mind, it is not like renting cars, where you can basically pick whatever style you want and pay accordingly, the majority of shops just have the lower end gear as rentals.

3) I'd say get the class done first, then decide on gear, if you both get mask/snorkel/fins, don't forget to get a mash bag for it too, buy one that fits all the gear in case you eventually buy it.

Take a look at my signature line, see how much gear we can end up having if we don't buy the right stuff from the start?

I would suggest going with using the shop supplied equipment to start. Use as many different brands as You can,.. see what you like. I wear a conglomerate of ScubaPro/ Aqualung/ Oceanic/ Hollis,..... I use what works, I am in no means stuck on any one brand. I personally, nearly abhor using rental equipment. I've had too many problems with it, only to have it hurridly "fixed" by dive masters, to make the dive & still have failures. I also cringe at the though of not knowing the hygene of the person who used it before me. If you think 100% of the shops thoroughly disinfect the regulators...... Well.....:shakehead: If it were a life/ death emeregncy,... no problem.... priorities:D. But otherwise, I appreciate the thought that I know how my equipment has been handled & maintained (being I am our shop's repair tech). So if it is not in working order,... I'm the only one to blame. I'm one of those types, I do not like anyone touching my gear, especially without asking! I've got my equipment set up for myself & am comfortable & happy with it.

1) What's the best route for equipment use during certification? Rent gear for the 5-day course and buy afterwards? Or buy beforehand and hope our purchases work?
2) As of right now, we'd be mostly "vacation" divers. We're in Miami, but more everglades side. Would buying equipment right away be worth the cost? Or would renting be more feasible for the "occasional diver"?

Thanks in advance for the advice. Any little bit helps.

Because you have no experience, YET :), I would recommend renting gear for the course and then look into purchasing afterwards.
The first piece of gear I would recommend is a dive computer. It is good to have the fundamental knowledge of dive tables but you will finding diving a lot more enjoyable, and safer, using a computer! Though you give up some of the conservative the tables offer, you will be able to get longer bottom times using a computer. I'm assuming you need to provide your own mask, fins, snorkel for the course. If that is the case, I recommend buying a comfortable well fitting mask and a good pair of DIVE fins (not snorkel fins!).

Depending on budget, you may also want to invest in a good regulator. Some brands I like are Atomic, Apeks and ScubaPro. Find one that is most convenient to service (for example, if none of the dive shops in your area service Apeks it might not be such a good idea to buy one!). Rental regulators are usually beat up and have very hard work of breathing.

If you are a "vacation diver" there are several brands of travel friendly gear. The Jetpack is just one of them AERIS : Jetpack.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you have any more questions!

---------- Post added March 21st, 2014 at 01:42 PM ----------

I do not like anyone touching my gear, especially without asking!

You must be a tech diver!! :wink:

I'd rent thru certification.

How close is your local shop and what brands do they sell? And are authorized to service? At least some of your gear is going to likely need annual servicing - I prefer to be able to drop my gear off locally for that. You don't have to buy from them for warranty service either - all the nationally known brands are serviceable at any authorized dealer.

Try whatever you can at Quiescence. Even see if they have different brands you can rent after you certify. Although their rental gear is probably not what you'll end up with. Most rental gear is low-end solid stuff designed to be used/abused for a couple years with simple maintenance requirements - perfect for a rental fleet but not optimized for the best diving you'll be doing later.

Typically most rental gear is Jacket BC's - many people who buy their first set of gear also buy one since they're used to it. Many who start out with a Jacket upgrade over time to something with back-inflation - either a back-inflate BCD or a Backplate/Wing. They're less cluttered in front and I personally believe easier to trim out since the air cell is all on your back.

I have a Zeagle, it's a good product. They're pretty popular in SoFl also - both because they work and partly because the factory is in Zephyr Hills. They make both mens/womens models also. You also can't go wrong with Aqualung, ScubaPro, Oceanic, Aeris, I'm not a big fan of Mares but others are.

In your area I'd start with a trip to Divers Direct - they just opened a store in Coral Gables. And there's also one in Key Largo. They have a lot of gear - all reputable brands. It's actually a little overwhelming the amount of options - many of their sales staff are local divers also so know what works in SoFl. Either buy there or from your local shop if their price is competitive - it doesn't hurt to build a local relationship.

Other options are Scubatoys, LeisurePro or Divers Supply - all are reputable mail order dealers.
You'll need/want your own mask, fins, snorkel for class.

The only thing that counts on a mask is fit. It should hold onto your face with no strap when you inhale. An upgrade is one of the soft skirt masks, they're generally a better fit and more comfortable. I have an $80 mask and a $20 backup mask. Sometimes I forget which one I'm using.

Fins are either paddle fins or split fins. Being 28 and swim instructors paddle fins will be cheaper and more maneuverable. Split Fins are generally easier kicking but harder (almost impossible) to back up in. They're for us old guys...

Boots are boots - buy for comfort. In warm water any good 3-5 MM boot is fine. i buy all my boots around $25 - they last at least 5 years or so.

Any $20 snorkel works. You need to have one for class - if you're like most of us it will ride in your gear bag after that.

Typically bundles are not your best option. Frequently they're built to a price with nothing being the best in any category.

As with most advice above, rent.

I rented for the first year of diving (50 dives) with only owning a mask and fins and a inexpensive computer for the later half of that year.

As you start to accumulate equipment, its a fast downhill race to empty your wallet (especially for 2 of you). Just rent what you need, and look for gear to come on sale, or in the classifieds thats appropriate in your uses.

I also liked having several different types of manufactures gear while renting before buying (although having to relearn where dump valves on every charter is a pain), to see what I like and don't like about it and learn what works best for me (eg, I liked some inexpensive reg sets better than the 'holy grail' expensive regs).

BRad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom