Equipment Color

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any self-respecting diver would consider nothing but black, it never goes out of style. Look back at some of the goofy colorful suits people wore in the 1970s and 1980s. Ah, but those in black always look good....
Black is the new black! :D

In latest issue of Alert Diver there was a question about color. DAN recommended the Fluro Hood (Fluro Hood - 'Don't get Left Behind') so that you could more easily seen by dive boats.
Did DAN recommend that, or did someone writing an article in Alert Diver recommend that?

What is so wrong with pink? I understand why the guys won't want pink gear but for your SO's what makes it so wrong? Pink is a great color and really stands out. Plus it is less likely to get "mistaken" for someone else's gear.

What is so wrong with pink? I understand why the guys won't want pink gear but for your SO's what makes it so wrong? Pink is a great color and really stands out. Plus it is less likely to get "mistaken" for someone else's gear.

If you have to ask.... it can't be explained to you......

Yellow stands out as you look toward the surface also. You have to look hard for the second diver in the photo, and only find them when you see the yellow boot on the bottom of the tank.

Attachments

• DSC_5317.jpg
    DSC_5317.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 92
What's the school of tought on equipment color? Looking around, most everything comes in yellows, reds, blues, black, etc, etc... Is it just personal preference, or is there some science about this? I would think that you would want something bright in case you were seperated or lost, as it would stand out more than a darker color. Just curious... Thanks all!

You would think, but, in a country where most of the population is obese black has a slimming effect. So, when they find your dead body cleaved in half by a jet ski at least the two pieces will look good in black. Unless you are Johnny Cash, what the heck is up with the black? N

I too don't see anything wrong with good, plain, solid colours other than black being used when designing dive gear. When black is used exclusively, suits can be reminiscent of a ninja outfit, or at least a combat swimmer's apparel. Is a semi-military look necessary when diving recreationally?

I think it's the temptation to combine several bright colours within one garment that needs to be resisted, e.g.
41LdnIV2oKL._SS500_.jpg
The above image seems to have inspired the "panelling" of certain modern wetsuits and drysuits.

I lean towards black for things like wetsuits and BCs because I think the fabric stays better looking as it ages. I do have bright yellow oceanic viper fins and yellow tanks and my mask is blue and clear because that was what fit best at the dive shop. For me, my priorities are as follows:
1 Fit/Functionality
2 Price
3 Color

I put the study in wikipedia a while back.

The best colors to use for visibility in water was shown by Luria et al. and quoted from Adolfson and Berghage below:

Code:
 A. For murky, turbid water of low visibility (rivers, harbors, etc.)
   1. With natural illumination:
       a. Fluorescent yellow, orange, and red.
       b. Regular yellow, orange, and white.
   2. With incandescent illumination:
       a. Fluorescent and regular yellow, orange, red and white.
   3. With a mercury light source:
       a. Fluorescent yellow-green and yellow-orange.
       b. Regular yellow and white.
B. For moderately turbid water (sounds, bays, coastal water).
    1. With natural illumination or incandescent light source:
       a. Any fluorescent in the yellows, oranges, and reds.
   2. With a mercury light source:
C. For clear water (southern water, deep water off shore, etc.).
    1. With any type of illumination fluorescent paints are superior.
       a. With long viewing distances, fluorescent green and yellow-green.
       b. With short viewing distances, fluorescent orange is excellent.
   2. With natural illumination:
       a. Fluorescent paints.
   3. With incandescent light source:
       a. Fluorescent paints.
   4. With a mercury light source:
       a. Fluorescent paints.
       b. Regular yellow, white.
The most difficult colors at the limits of visibility with a water background 
are dark colors such as gray or black.
References:

Adolfson J and Berhage, T (1974). Perception and Performance Under Water. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 0471009008.

Luria SM, Kinney JA (March 1970). "Underwater vision". Science (journal) 167 (924): 1454?1. PMID 5415277. Retrieved on 2008-07-06.

I put the study in wikipedia a while back.

The best colors to use for visibility in water was shown by Luria et al. and quoted from Adolfson and Berghage below:

Code:
 A. For murky, turbid water of low visibility (rivers, harbors, etc.)
   1. With natural illumination:
       a. Fluorescent yellow, orange, and red.
   2. With incandescent illumination:
       a. Fluorescent and regular yellow, orange, red and white.
   3. With a mercury light source:
B. For moderately turbid water (sounds, bays, coastal water).
    1. With natural illumination or incandescent light source:
       a. Any fluorescent in the yellows, oranges, and reds.
   2. With a mercury light source:
C. For clear water (southern water, deep water off shore, etc.).
    1. With any type of illumination fluorescent paints are superior.
       a. With long viewing distances, fluorescent green and yellow-green.
       b. With short viewing distances, fluorescent orange is excellent.
   2. With natural illumination:
       a. Fluorescent paints.
   3. With incandescent light source:
       a. Fluorescent paints.
   4. With a mercury light source:
       a. Fluorescent paints.
       b. Regular yellow, white.
The most difficult colors at the limits of visibility with a water background 
are dark colors such as gray or black.
References:

Adolfson J and Berhage, T (1974). Perception and Performance Under Water. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 0471009008.

Luria SM, Kinney JA (March 1970). "Underwater vision". Science (journal) 167 (924): 1454?1. PMID 5415277. Retrieved on 2008-07-06.

Amen...Brother I could have not said it better.

For all you Ninja's out there...I live in the land of Ninja's and you are no Ninja! although you can always dream that you are a Ninja. Japanese instructors, and dive masters tend to go for custom wet suits, with there own color pattern. Most dive shops in Okinawa have custom made wet suits with the dive shop logo on the front of the wet suit. Colors help sell your dive shop in a very competative market. It is very easy to identify the instructor, the students, and the dive shop just at a glance both in the water and on land. Oh and they look very proffesional also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom