Equipment Color

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What's the school of tought on equipment color? Looking around, most everything comes in yellows, reds, blues, black, etc, etc... Is it just personal preference, or is there some science about this? I would think that you would want something bright in case you were seperated or lost, as it would stand out more than a darker color. Just curious... Thanks all!

Black is Beautiful.

Let em add another general rule for diving---stay up off the reef and bottom.

N

Everything I dive with is black or grey, with the exception of my BC, which is black, blue, and red, and my tanks, which are just blasted metal finish. I feel like it is my job to be as close to an aqua-ninja as possible.....like a silent assassin:wink: I feel that color is a li'l flamboyant. That being said, wear whatever you'd like. My girlfriend likes to wear colors: she opts for yellow. We bust each other's chops, but it's just a matter of preference. I'm not an instructor, so I don't feel like I need to stay ultra visible; I'm never far enough away from my buddy for that to be an issue. There have been studies done regarding what color(s) "definitely" attract sharks, but there has been conflicting evidence. Just wear what you like.....unless it's pink:D

I feel like it is my job to be as close to an aqua-ninja as possible.....like a silent assassin:wink: I feel that color is a li'l flamboyant.

Being black you look just like 90% of the other ninja's out there. Many sports and activities have evolved over the years. Remember Henry Ford said:, "you can what ever car you want as long as it is black." I think unless you are a spear fisherman that is trying to hide from thier prey it is safer to be visible especially if you are some what adventurious. I don't a pure yellow suit would be appropraite, but I have a set of neon yellow dive gloves that I can signal my dive buddy infront of my black wet suit and he/she can see for some distance. I use these gloves exclusively for working with students and clients, which helps to calm thier fears of the unknown that they can understand what I am communicating easily. I can see fashion in the dive industry will be big some day. Maybe we can get sports illistrated models to model the suits for us.

Wow Tuner Fish, you let your wife carry a knife! Brave man!
I wear mostly black but i will admit that yellow does tend to show up better at distance or in bad viz!
Many divers are so color consious that the spend lots of time looking good instead of taking time to be good divers! Not all but some!
What ever color you like is fine as long as you enjoy your dive while wearing it!

Diver recognition underwater is quite often by the color of the fins. My wife dives with red and black Raptors. I see her fins and I know it is her.

Last September, we were doing the nite manta ray dive off the Kona Coast. At the conclusion of the show the dozen or so mantas put on, I noticed a group leaving. One diver had a pair of older looking white fins. I recognized them as belonging to my next door neighbor. We're 3,500 miles from home, knew she and her husband were on the Big Island at the same time, but not aware of their schedule.

I have always been a black/blue guy. but now that I will be Dive Mastering soon, and later instructing (much later) I think I need some bright yellow fins - my big blue blades disappear pretty quick in the murky waters.......

I REALLY wish they would start making Jet fins in colors again, specifically yellow. Meanwhile, some decoration with a paint pen helps with diver ID to a great degree, although it's not as visible from a distance.

Actually, I'd be just as happy if not more if OMS started making SlipStreams in colors.

There's a company in Europe that makes Jet fin clones in yellow, but they're (a) quite hard to find and (b) cost over $200 with shipping added in!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom