Equipment choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wyofirediver

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Our team recieves minimal funding from our department as i expect is the case for most teams. As such trying to streatch the dollars for gear really limits what we are able to purchase. Currently most of our gear is very much so entry level sport diving gear. The one part of our equipment that we were able to get in relatively high grade is our regulators, my primary second stage is a Scubapro G250V Fist stage is MK25. For the most part any upgrade from the initial equipment is up to the individual diver. The next piece of gear I will be upgrading is my BC. The current one is a pretty cheap jacket style that I have replaced 3 inflator valves in. Most of our diving is 40' or less, and almost always less than 60' but the viz is also normaly under 2' and often 0. I'm currently looking at one of the offerings from Zeagle, likely a Ranger or Tech. These two may be more BC than I need, but I do like the idea that the air bladder is a seperate piece that can be replaced, and the outer cover patched in the event either gets a hole rather than needing to replace the entire unit. However, I have heard a number of complaints directed at the weight system on the Zeagle BC's. I have also started looking at the possibility of a BP/W type setup however It's not likely I will ever use it with doubles. For the type of diving we do I'm not sure it would make much if any difference between these setups. What do you use as teams or as individuals, and why do you prefer to use that system?

I (And most of my team) use use BP/W setups. Many of us also do cave and we like to use the same setup as much as possible. It's also comfortable not having much in front of you to get in the way when you're rooting around on the bottom looking for things.

Having said that you can use pretty much any BCD as long as your team is familiar with each others gear. In a perfect world with unlimited funding we would all have the same stuff of course. One thing you can do is talk with shops or manufacturers and see if you can get a demo unit to test out.

Even if your department does not issue the equipment it would be beneficial for your guys to get together and agree on a voluntary equipment standard that people can work toward as they replace their own gear. Something as simple as standardizing the locations for your cutting instruments costs next to nothing but can help in an emergency.

If the water quality in your area is at all questionable (I think that covers about 98% of us) then you might want to consider full face masks as one of your equipment priorities. If you have areas of farm/ranch runoff into your waterways that would be a top priority to protect the health of your folks.

Good Luck!

Tom

How about pony bottles as the first step? The biggest upgrade most teams should look at is pony bottles. Having a redundant air source and contingency system for OOA should be priority for all PSD teams because, well, w/o air its obvious what happens to the diver if he's trapped and alone - a situation that can and does occur with the PSD more than any other type of diver.

On the BCD. I suggest the most simple. There's nothing wrong with a GOOD jacket BCD or a BP - I'd advise these over what you're looking at.
I used to lean towards BP because I dive them for tech but have since come to realize that a jacket style is probably best for PSD as the diver will be spending time on the surface perhaps struggling with objects/victims. The BP (or rear inflate) will tip the diver forward if he's in a vertical position resulting in more struggling to avoid this tendancy. With a jacket style at least theres no struggling to maintain vertical attitude - its just easier to work on the surface.
The BP is more streamlined and "clean" on the front but the search u/w is only part of what we're doing. Being streamlined isn't really something we care about in PSD as we're usually digging through the mud at a snails pace anyway. The clean front is a good attribute however I believe that is outweighed by difficulties found at the surface. I've seen too many divers struggling on the surface to the point of exhaustion/cramps to recommend the BP (or rear inflate) in this application for most PSDs. Some guys are pros enough to overcome this initially but put a kid in their arms and they forget

Here's what I don't like about zeagle:
1) Zeagle makes a very complicated BCD with all kinds of danglies and unecessary "parts" which is less than optimum for PSD work.
2) Our team has also found that the zeagle brand is prone to failures (inflators sticking open and pull dumps coming apart to be specific) at a much higher rate than most other BCDs we have had (scubapro, LGS, aqualung).
3) Their pockets are non-functional u/w - look for velcro not zippers
4) You're right. The integrated weighting is not a good idea for PSD.
5) There also twice the price of a descent jacket BC.
6) Anything over a 50lb bladder is also a liability in maintaining bouyancy and avoiding uncontrolled ascents - the zeagle likes using big #65!
7) For the amount of times you'd actually need to change out a bladder you could purchase allot of jacket BCDs
8) The soft back pack and tank strapping system is very cumbersome when swapping out tanks
9) allot of extra material also traps allot of the nasty stuff - cleaning them is a _itch

Tom makes a very good point about standardizing gear as much as possible. Your team will be faster, safer and more confident if everyone can agree on the same stuff

hope this helps

We use the following as a standard gear setup:

- DUI Butyl rubber dry suit with integrated hood.
- EXO26 full face mask with integrated communications. (comms rarely work, so line signals are primary)
- Custom made harness with ditchable weights and holds primary (paramedic shears) and secondary (knife) cutting tools.
- Jacket-style BCD made out of what I believe is some sort of bright orange canvas material. Unsure of the MFG. I think it's made by some PSD dive company. They have an integrated pouch on the back that holds a 19cf pony, and IMO a task loading nightmare.
- MK25 regs for primary
- Aqualung titan for pony
- Scubapro jetfins.

Lots of other misc. gear tidbits.

What about trying the OMS Chemical resistant BCD? Not sure what type of contaminated water you dive in. Decon is easy.

For the most part contamination is not a major problem. Our water is just constantly stirred up and we have a lot of silt suspended in the column. The more I look at it I do want to try a BP/W setup ust to see how I like it. One thing I forgot to mention was that my current weight system is the DUI harness. If I have to continue using that it will be alright, but I would really like to go to womething with an integral weight system.

Sounds like you've had your mind made up before hand so I won't waste the time going into specifics. Very few PSDs will use integrated weights - its been discussed on here in depth so feel free to use the search if you care to learn.

best of luck with your choice

With some proper PSD training you will see where a weight belt is the system of choice. We use Zeagle's Rangers and Tech's but don't use the weight systems or the pockets. In PSD you want to stay KISS so there shouldn't be a need for a lot of pockets.

We get good funding from our department but we still have fund raisers on our own. We do a Pancake Feed every year that raise 5-6K each year and educates the public on what we do for them.

Gary D.

I'm willing to listen. Why is the weight belt prefered? We went away from them to the harness primarily for comfort. the cast hard weights we were using on the belts were uncomfortable as could be, and were leaving bruises on most of our guys even through a 7mm suit.

As far as better training I'll fully agree we need better training. I know at least a couple of us are seriously looking into continuing through ERDI. Right now our guys are a combination of Padi and SSI. The shop we were going through for SSI switched over to SDI, and will be offering the ERDI courses.

bruises, eh? You must have some really rough looking weights. You could try soft weights but we just use standard bullet type - no tramatic injuries with these.

Reasons for weightbelts in PSD:
1) weights should be the last thing on and the first thing off. This ensures that it can be easily jetisoned quickly and won't get hung up on anything. A good procedure is to have all divers "ditch" their weights just prior to leaving the water - the repeition of doing this on every dive will build muscle memory for the divers to be able to ditch fast if they ever have to. Check the DAN stats - allot of drowned divers are found with the weights still on with air still in the tanks and most of the problems occur at the surface or just prior to surfacing. If divers practiced this skill routinely and actually had the presence of mind to ditch their weights we'd probably see allot less accidents - but people don't practice this lifesaving skill
Most int systems are very difficult to load when the diver has all his gear on and some are a pain to rethread (zeagle) so many divers never want to practice ditching as it is quite an ordeal to reload. If its too had to do in practice what are the chances that they'll be able to pull it off in a real situation?
2) Right hand release is prefered. As the right hand pulls the belt the left is on the BC inflator managing bouyancy. Many int systems require 2 hands and aren't smooth/quick to operate (ie - release a buckle, then disengage velcro, then pull weights out. By the time the int weights are dumped bouyancy can be too far gone and control is lost creating a greater risk of injury
3) familiar system. All divers are usaully taught to use the belt in OW so everyone is familiar with it. Not so with int weights. A rescue diver may not be as fast releasing int weights if he doesn't use/practice with them himself. There are so many types of systems now that even the same brand of BCD may have different "versions" of their system. Its difficult to tell how a rescue diver may relese weights just by looking at it
4) shore personnel can tell at a glance if the diver has weights on and possibly if he's over/under weighted. Don't laugh, I've seen it all the time; the guys are jacked and gear up so quick and find they can't descend because the forgot to add weights to the BCD
5) Doffing the scuba unit u/w to manage an entanglement. Highly unlikely but if it is an option the diver decides to do if all the weights are in the unit and not on the divers body its a recipe for disaster
6) equipment management on shore. We may not have the luxury of having our rigs pre-assembled on a bench where the diver gears up on the bench and walks a short distance to the water. We may require people to carry the gear over land. Carrying a fully assembled rig w/ pony is heavy enough - add an int weight system and its a back injury.
Swapping out bottles is also difficult if weights are int into the BCD.
7) Some int weights only function at a certain diver position or are less than optimum at certain postions. ie - the zeagle pouches fall away fine if the diver is vertical but not so well in the horizontal position (upside down, not at all). The diver has the entire weight belt in his hand when ditching so can manipulate it to suit the angle for a good drop clear of his person
8) Cheap. Int systems are expensive and is just another peice(s) to get lost or broken. Weight belts are cheap and easy to maintain - use steel buckles and keepers and even firefighters won't wreck them:D

Anybody have any others?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom