Equalizing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

terrydarc,

I think someone told me this in my BOW course. I just spent some time scanning the DAN web site and a few other web sites and couldn't find any specific connection between adequate hydration and ease of equalization. My instructor said something about keeping your ear canal moist.....obviously more pliable tissues (vs. dry and stiff) will help with equalization, but not sure if your level of hydration has a major impact on this.

Anyway -- maybe it was psychosomatic. My instructor said this in response to the minor ear troubles a few of us were having on our check-out dives. I've paid close attention to pre-dive hydration ever since, and have had no ear problems since.

Bottom line -- it can't hurt, especially given that there is some connection between dehydration and susceptibility to DCS.

I had a lot of problems equalizing when I was taking OW. Going down 12 feet in the pool was agony. Two things helped... one was practice. You don't have to be in the water to practice. Just sit there on the sofa and watch TV, pinch your nose and blow. Start gently and then blow harder (not sharper, just progressively harder). That is how I learned how hard "gently" meant. It may be harder than you think.

The other thing that really helped was equalizing every breath on descent. Yeah, it's really overkill and you will eventually learn how often you REALLY need to equalize. But in the meantime, equalizing constantly will keep the pressure from building up. If you wait until you've descended 8 feet, it will be much harder to equalize. The downside to this was that I ended up consuming more air upon descent, but that will correct itself as you get a feel for it.

Julie

I know what you are going through. In class yeah I can blow lightly and get the muffled sound but hit water forget it. I Have to tilt my head to each side for the water to fill. I Have only been in apx. 12 ft in the pool and my teacher was there every foot to make sure I was doing ok. I take a little slower then the others but I have not felt the pain since the first time again. good luck

When people have trouble equalizing, sometimes it's because they are waiting too long. If you don't try to equalize until you feel pain, you are waiting too long. You won't hurt anything by equalizing too much. If you are descending and your ears hurt, go back up a little, then equalize, and then resume your descent. Remember, once you feel pain, it's a lot harder to equalize. Also, you're not alone. Almost everybody has initial difficulty with something. Godd luck!

something that helps me even better than the "blowing while pinching your nose" is to somewhat start a "yawn" while pinching your nose and/or swallowing.
It takes different levels of practice for different people. My brother-in-law goes head first while blowing-pinching nose almost constantly, I prefer swallowing while going feet first.
Also, I once read that chewing gum before going into the water helped to give a little of a workout to the muscles that surround your eustacian tubes. That also has helped me...or so I've belived.:)

Oni,
I had the same problem as you do when I first started diving, man I had to fight to get down. But later on, I ran on to this Board and ask the same question. SubMariner gave me these tips from and article.

Here are SOME of the salient points directly from Dr. Kay's article in "The
Undersea Journal":

"A head down position during descent compromises a marginally patent
Eustachian tube and makes middle ear equalization more difficult. Therefore
students, divers with prior ear problems, timid divers and those who are not
sure if their middle ear will equalize should begin their decsent slowly in
a head-up position.

Vigorous (but not forceful) middle ear pressurization should begin on the
surface where there is no pressure on the eardrum. Therefore, slight
pre-pressurization of the middle ear, inflating the Eustachian tube prior to
descent, is desirable.

Simple Techniques: the simplest techniques are the yawn, swallow, jaw thrust
and head tilt....
Frenzel: closes off the vocal cords by pinching the nostrils and making a
"k" or "guh" sound to compress air in the back of the throat. This is [Dr.
Kay's] preferred pressurization maneuver because it can be done at any point
in the respiratory cycle...
Valsalva: with the nostrils pinched closed, pressure is increased in the
chest by blowing out the closed nostrils and keeping cheek muscles tight.
Caution is advised, as prolonged effort can cause venous engorgement of the
tissues around the Eustacian tubes...
Toynbee: this technique calls for pinching the nostrils shut while
swallowing, therefore pulling open the Eustachian tube. It is not
recommended for rapid descent because the Eustachian tubes are difficult to
reinflate after middle ear squeeze occurs.
Beance Tubair Voluntaire (BTV): difficult to teach and not easily mastered.
Muscles of the soft palate contract while upper throat muscles pull the
Eustachian tube open. People who spend hours in decompression have an
excellent opportunity to practice this technique as they undergo gradual and
predictable pressure changes.
Roydhouse: simliar to BTV except the soft balace muscles contract, raising &
tilting the uvula (the soft bulge hanging from the soft palate in the back
of the throat). Tensing the tonque muscles causes the crackling sensation in
the Eustadian tube; a jaw thrust often helps with this technique.
Edmonds: combines pressurization from either the Valsalva or Frenzel and a
jaw thrust or head tilt.
Lowry: combines pressurization with swallowing. Coordintion and practice is
required to pinch nostrils, build up pressure and swallow at the same time,
but the technique is every effective.
Twitch: using pressure from either the Valsalva or Frenzel, the head is
suddenly "twitched" sideways. Throat muscle tension increases the
effectiveness of this technique."

I too had trouble equalizing when I first started diving. I was always the last one to descent and felt bad that everyone had to wait for me. I have read alot about equalizing on these message forums to help me. The best advice I can give is...give it time. It does get better. One of the biggest differences I have found is to equalize before you start to descend. Pinch your nose and blow out even BEFORE your head goes under. And blow out with every breathe you take.I used to wait until it was to late, when the pain was already there, but I also learned thru these forums, that by then, it is too late. So I have made a conscious effort to blow out before my head goes under and with every breathe. It has made a world of difference. I also take the 12 hour Sudafed before my dives, (although I don't recommend this for everyone, one should read up on the pros and cons before making a decision to use Sudafed).
I have just completed my Advance OW and have about 40 dives under me, so I'm certainly no expert but I just wanted to share what has worked for me. About 25 dives ago, I thought that I would never be able to equalize as easy as other divers, but I have noticed it is getting easier with every dive, and I really am starting to enjoy my descends.

Like everyone else, I've had trouble equalizing at first. But it does get easier the more you dive and of course equalizing every couple of feet makes all the difference. But I have found that if I ever get water in my ears while diving, my dive is over because I can no longer equalize the ear that has the water in it. Anyone have any suggestions for that?

~lildiver

When taking my open water check out dives I could not clear and had to call things off. I was told swallowing would work if the good old pinch and blow did not. This did not work for me, but after I got home I read to swallow while blowing. TADA!! I felt like an Idiot. This is the only way I can clear. This does lead to dry mouth if you equallize almost every breath.
You may learn all about your ears and most of the methods used in the article" PREVENTION OF MIDDLE EAR BAROTRAUMA"
http://faculty.washington.edu/ekay/MEbaro.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom