Equalizing Ears - Beginner Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im new and on my second closed water dive. I equalized like crazy in a pool at 10 feet. still hurt. I always had mild ear and sinus issues. I really would like to further my diving career but it I feel this pain at 10 feet how can I dive. I must have equalized 10 times. 1 ear popped. valsalva manuever? any other advise. sudafed?

Im new and on my second closed water dive. I equalized like crazy in a pool at 10 feet. still hurt. I always had mild ear and sinus issues. I really would like to further my diving career but it I feel this pain at 10 feet how can I dive. I must have equalized 10 times. 1 ear popped. valsalva manuever? any other advise. sudafed?

If you have a history of ear and sinus trouble, SCUBA may not be your best choice of hobbies. I have always been a bit slower equalizing than most of my buddies even though I have no history, but can still get down if I take my time. I understand that there are some surgical options that may help you, but know nothing about them.

If only one ear popped, it may be that inspite of 'equalizing like crazy' you really didn't equalize much if at all, at least on one side. If you weren't using the Valsalva maneuver what were you using?

Go back to post #6, follow the links
, and learn how to clear properly. Take your time and practice on land before diving.

Technique first. Lots of people including experienced divers have pretty sloppy technique which shows up on multi-dive vacations.
If that doesn't work, add medications in addition to technique.
If THAT doesn't work, find a new sport or maybe possibly ruin your ears.

Last edited:
Relax. Take your time. The shallow equalisations are the most difficult. Don't force it. Equalize a few times before getting in the water. Like many things there may be some trial and error, but in this case errors can cause damage, so don't force too hard. Pinch nose. Blow slowly into pinched nose. Then raise eyebrows and do what you do in an airplane. Your sinuses will get used to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom