Equalizing Ears - Beginner Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you, think I follow what you're saying. I always advise yawning to get that "crackle" sound, indicating equalization. When I "hold" that position (thus causing the continual "humming" sound which seems to muffle hearing), does that mean my Eustachian tube is continuously open? And is that how you can descend like crazy? Or am I talking Apples & Oranges?

Difficult to determine from your description. Possibly, but can't say I would trust it until you know more from personal experience.

I've heard people advise this. How does it help, since you're already equalised on the surface?
I'm not sure but I think that it pressurizes your ears slightly and gives you a head start. Who knows if that's the reason it works; I just know that it helps.

Also remember to take your time- there is no point worrying about how long it is taking because that will only aggravate matters. Never descend further until you are have equalized at that depth. Make sure you start doing this immediately when your head hits the water. I also take a decongestant but some people do not feel this is advisable but you might want to consider it.

I also take a decongestant but some people do not feel this is advisable but you might want to consider it.

Nothing against decongestants if you find you need them. But, develop proper clearing technique first, or at least make a serious effort to do so. Then, if you still have trouble clearing consider medication options.

Some folks that are fairly active divers, the kind that do 20-30 dives/year in local waters end up having issues when they go on 2-4 dive/day vacations because they are just a ......little.......sloppy in clearing. They get away with it OK on single dives but the accumulated insult of serial dives catches up with them.

From my past 11 years (550+ times) of diving experience, the first 10m (33') is very critical to equalize my ears. I equalize my ears on every 1m (3') descending, regardless you feel the pressure or not. You can actually hear the air fills into the inner ear & your ear drums feel more relax afterwards.

If I go down to about 10m (33') that would mean equalizing the ear drums for about 10-11 times. At that point you may not need to do it any more unless you feel the pressure.

I think the number of times one must equalise varies per person, and I think it's different for me on different dives. Maybe that last part is just in my head (no pun intended). At times I go down 20' to the bottom and only equalise once.

Physics determine that people have to BE equalized about the same. PHYSIOLOGY, which can change on a daily and even hourly basis, determines HOW you equalize. Some people have to "do" essentially nothing, the passages are easily opened and equalization just 'happens'. Some people have to be very deliberate and measured in making sure it happens.

My personal take on it is equalise early and often. For me that means once on the surface just prior to descending and every 1-1.5m on the way down at the start. The gap between equalisations will get bigger as you descend as the pressure differential decrease - remember that the biggest change in pressure is nearest to the surface so that is where equalisation often is most important.
0-10m - about every 1-1.5m
20-30 - probably about every 2-3m

I think everyone differs on how much they need to equalise - due to physiology, comfort level, amount of diving etc. If you are diving every day, I think your body starts to adapt and equalisation does become easier. As @fmerkel says some people seem to be able to equalise with virtually no effort while others have to concentrate on it.

My personal take on it is equalise early and often. For me that means once on the surface just prior to descending and every 1-1.5m on the way down at the start. The gap between equalisations will get bigger as you descend as the pressure differential decrease - remember that the biggest change in pressure is nearest to the surface so that is where equalisation often is most important.
0-10m - about every 1-1.5m
20-30 - probably about every 2-3m

I think everyone differs on how much they need to equalise - due to physiology, comfort level, amount of diving etc. If you are diving every day, I think your body starts to adapt and equalisation does become easier. As @fmerkel says some people seem to be able to equalise with virtually no effort while others have to concentrate on it.

Yup, it definitely gets easer the more I dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom