Equalization and Depth Options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

longashes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have traveler's ear which means the "pinch nose" methods do not work. I was able to pass my OW PADI certification recently by descending slowly.

Since I am unable to equalize per se, my ears seem to adjust as I descend slowly. Does it make it more difficult the deeper you go or is the biggest concern around 15 - 20 feet and then the body adjusts?

I have a Hawaii trip coming up and looking for dive options. I would hate to book a 60 - 75 foot dive and realize I can only handle 40 or so.

Thanks in advance to advice.

The % change per foot is much greater in the first part of the descent. But the extra pressure per foot is the same for each foot of depth. In general it gets easier as you go deeper but I don't know enough about your affliction to say for sure.

If you can't use the Valsalva maneuver just what do you do? This video may offer some other more positive options.

Pete

As Spectrum Mentioned. Watch the Video by Dr. Edmond Kay it very informative and should very well help you out without maneuvers or even help perfect the ones you already know about.

What did your instructor say when you (told) her-him. What do all the books say. Have you heard of reverse squeeze. Do you like music. Fix your head.

the valsalva method doesn't work that great for me. I have had a real hard time with equalizing but found that pinching my nose and trying to make a K sound works everytime. the first time I was able to equalize easily all the way down a line was like a breath of fresh (or condensed) air.

I have traveler's ear which means the "pinch nose" methods do not work. I was able to pass my OW PADI certification recently by descending slowly.

Since I am unable to equalize per se, my ears seem to adjust as I descend slowly. Does it make it more difficult the deeper you go or is the biggest concern around 15 - 20 feet and then the body adjusts?
I really wish that instructors would spend more time in basic OW class explaining ear anatomy and the various techniques of ear equalization. This is one of the ways that beginners end up hurting themselves, and one incident of middle ear barotrauma is something that can turn people off of diving for good.

As others have suggested, watch Dr. Kay's video and peruse his website. Try each and every ear equalization method that he describes. Find out what works best for you. The Valsalva technique is the least effective technique for me. YMMV.

I would agree with your comment about taking the time to discuss more about the techniques. There is so much compressed into the course but this is very important. If I cannot equalize properly, I am forced to give up on an outstanding recreation.

Thanks for the specifics on what works for you. I will try along with the techniques in the video.

I had a student a couple of years ago that had the hardest time to equalise. None of the "standard" techniques worked.

I did a lot of research on the techniques that competitive freedivers use, as they tend to be both effective and efficient (in terms of gas loss from the lungs - not too much of a concern for scuba!).

The technique that ended up working for this one student was what I now call "the hoick".... it kinda comes naturally to the guys, but is a bit more of a challenge for the ladies. There's also no polite way to describe it.....

So imagine you have quite a mucusy cold, the nose is blocked so you can't get rid of the mucus at the back of the throat (pharynx?). A guy would quite happily tighten their cheek muscles and push their jaw slightly forward and then back. This has the effect, well if you have a cold, of giving you a mouthful of mucus that you can them hoick out by spitting.

The motion also opens up the eustachian tubes, so works a treat for equalising.

It's also not uncommon that time will also just clear up your problem. Bear with it. The more you equalise, using different techniques, the more stretchy your eustachian tubes become. You might even find that with enough diving that your tubes loosen up enough that you no longer have problems when flying.

Plus relax, a tight jaw from biting the mouthpiece too hard can be a contributing factor.

Divers who can only equalize to a relatively shallow depth are often not equalizing fully or perhaps not at all; they are just diving to the point where they can no longer tolerate the pain. Do you have ear discomfort during your slow descent? Do you feel the equalization? I get a slight tickling sensation in my Eustachian tube, accompanied by squeaking noises. If you are forcing the issue, you may be rewarded with a reverse block upon ascent, which is extrmemly painful and potentially dangerous.

I quit diving for several years because I couldn't equalize properly. I watched the video mentioned above and tried every technique until I found one that works. Practice until it becomes second nature. I would always tense up because I knew I was going to have a problem. The more relaxed and confident you are, the better.

Once you find a technique that works and get a few pleasant dives, diving will be 10x more enjoyable. It always pissed me off because I loved diving, but I couldn't enjoy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom