EPM1 not firing strobe on white subjects in water column

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gdog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
For some reason, when trying to shoot something white, such as a jellyfish, in the water column, my EPM1 wont fire the strobe even though it is set to always flash. Im shooting manual, 1/125, 200 ISO, F8. I dont have a focus light, but even when trying to light the subject with my can light, unless the subject is shot close to a solid background, the strobe will not fire. I am a rookie at manual shooting. Any input??!

Thanks!

What, exactly, is your strobe setting?

Are you using external strobes, too?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Strobe is set to slave, at 4. It is a YS90Auto. I dont have a focus light, not sure if the sensor cant figure out what to focus on when the subject is opaque with no structure in the background? If I shoot the jelly, or comb jelly close to a solid background, everything works fine. In the open water column, camera doesnt fire the strobe at all.

Does the camera take a picture at all? Are you getting a dark image?
What exactly is the strobe setting? auto, fill in, full, 1/4, etc.
what lens?

It may not be achieving focus and thus not taking a picture at all.
If you suspect this you can put camera in manual focus or you can change the release priority.
I forget how to do it, it's in the manual.

Yes, it takes a pic, with zero flash, a dark image. Strobe is set to slave, on auto2. Strobe power is on 4. I suspect it does have to do with focus, just not sure. Stock flat port, with 14-42 kit lens.

when I asked what the strobe was set to, I actually meant the camera. sorry about that.
from what you've described, it almost sounds like the camera is in auto mode for the flash. It's taking a picture but doesn't think it needs the flash, thus the dark image because your external strobe is not being fired.
You should have your camera flash set to fill in or one of the manual settings like 1/64 to conserve power.

Since the camera strobe isn't doing anything other than triggering the external strobe, I set my camera to 1/16th power. This forces the strobe to go off with every photo. Focus or rather the inability to get focus probably contributes to the problem. I have experienced this when shooting clear subjects in mid-water as well.

BTW, nice set of photos on Flickr.

Back
Top Bottom