EOS compared to GTE/CDX5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is there a big advantage in the new EOS over the GT3 That i have?
I think the GT3 Breathes good and it should be just as reliable.
I thought about upgrading but the work of breathing chart at oceanic shows the EOS at 80 joules and GT3 at 98joules .
Does this make a noticeible difference ?
If there is no wow factor ,i dont see the need to change.
I no the hose routing is better on the EOS and that it has a swivel and is smaller.
But those things are not impotant to me right now.
Performance and reliability is!
So give me a sound reason for upgrading at this time.

I own a scuba pro mk 11 and a GT3.
Gt3 is a smoother breathing reg.
I had never owned a Oceanic.
So i got this GT3 about a month ago on a really good special.
I have been told that i can upgrade for 300.00
So this is why i am asking about upgrading.
I was actually excited about the EOS when it first came out,but i got the GT3 for half the price of the EOS.
Since then i came into a little money and could upgrade.
Thats why i would like some sound reasoning why i should.
I was suprised at how good the GT3 breathed and so i recant any negative things i may have said in connection with there Reg's.
I have a window of about a week to upgrade, thus i would like some good imput.:D

Your right on the .98 joules work of breathing (WOB) for the GT 3. The Delta 4 WOB is .87 joules and the new EOS is reported at .80 joules. The thing is here its hard to tell if a reg breathes better than the next. But in this case the EOS does seem to have a huge advantage. A 0.5 joules difference in WOB is actually noticeable by a diver. So in your case that's almost 4 times difference. It's over 1 for the Delta 4.

The EOS uses the FDX-10 1st. Which has DVT and a sealed unit. Plus it only has a 9 psi pressure drop at most, that is really good to the 15 16 are more on the other reg's.

So to answer your question ... YES BIG TIME!!!!!!!!

Your right on the .98 joules work of breathing (WOB) for the GT 3. The Delta 4 WOB is .87 joules and the new EOS is reported at .80 joules. The thing is here its hard to tell if a reg breathes better than the next. But in this case the EOS does seem to have a huge advantage. A 0.5 joules difference in WOB is actually noticeable by a diver. So in your case that's almost 4 times difference. It's over 1 for the Delta 4.

The EOS uses the FDX-10 1st. Which has DVT and a sealed unit. Plus it only has a 9 psi pressure drop at most, that is really good to the 15 16 are more on the other reg's.

So to answer your question ... YES BIG TIME!!!!!!!!

Bob,
You really need to check your math. Thr difference between the GT3 (.98) and the EOS (.80) is .18 joules. Which, according to your premise, is not noticeable by a diver since this is far less than .5 joules.

I have not had any imput that would convince me to change.
The latest and newest does'nt seem to be that much better.
It may be more comfortible and it does have a bling factor,but i see know sound evidence that it would breath and operate that much better.
Thanks for you imput.
I would think that Doug would have something to add since it is there new product.
But i Guess not.
Which leads me to believe its not that much better.

I do my best to avoid obvious opportunities for a sales pitch. It is much better to get this kind of feedback from those that have dove it themselves. Now that you've put me on the spot - I'll give you my personal opinion based on pretty extensive use of the GT3, Delta 4 and the EOS. I have used a Delta since the original came out in the mid/late 80's. I notice, what to me is a significant difference between it and the GT3. The EOS, while the work of breathing numbers are just a bit less than the Delta 4 - again, in my opinion, performs better than my Delta 4. I am working on an explanation of work of breathing - and a comparison between the EOS and Delta - it is difficult to explain without the benefit of a graphic example - breathing performance is effected by far more than just the work of breathing output. What our lab and in water tests, as well as initial field evaluations have shown, is that the EOS effort is nearly zero - and extremely natural. With many high performance regulators - those with extremely low WOB numbers - you'll find that they "flutter" - or alternate during the inhation cycle between effort and freeflow - it does not exist with the EOS. A couple of years ago, our lab technician gave a presentation on regulator performance and design and presented the "ideal" WOB loop - the EOS loop matches it nearly line for line.

This and several dealer inquiries asking the same has motivated me to put something together - as usual, scubaboarders will be the first to know when we've got it available.

Hi can you tell please if the Oceanic EOS is better than the Apeks XTX 200 Tungsten? and also if the EOS good for ice water diving?

Thanks for your time!

Ofer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom