EON Steel firmware update suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. First update the DM5 then the update will run.
Ok great! Now the Eon Steel has Bluetooth! But no sidemount mode still, that might had been easier to fix than bluetooth :) It would be nice to have a roadmap of other features that may come. What you guys think about the update?

Last edited:
Finally mine is updating now!

Yes. First update the DM5 then the update will run.
Ok great! Now the Eon Steel has Bluetooth! But no sidemount mode still, that might had been easier to fix than bluetooth :) It would be nice to have a roadmap of other features that may come. What you guys think about the update?

Not overly impressed. I won't ever use the bluetooth functionality. If it was build into the unit why wasn't it enabled a lot sooner? Still limited in customizations and I don't see much of a change at all in any other department. Looks like they only focused on BT and not much else. I want to see multiple tanks and more customization. Why are we so limited y what's shown in the top left and bottom left and why is there such a big empty void at the bottom in the middle?

A lot of waiting for very little updates.

Suunto: Please re-read post #23 in this thread...
Features are nice, but there are those aching for more / broader functionality over more features.

Suunto: Please re-read post #23 in this thread...
Features are nice, but there are those aching for more / broader functionality over more features.

Yup. I'm not a sidemount guy but support this as I run a pony bottle. I want to be able to see what's in my spare tank at a glance. The whole layout could be much better. Sure hoping they read these posts and act. This conmputer is supposed to rival the shearwater. It's no wonder they are so much further ahead.

YSure hoping they read these posts and act.

Don't bet on it.

I was in a lengthy email discussion over tank Pod battery life last year, and got asked for comments on the Eon which I submitted, and then had a few more email exchanges on those points. None have been put in the new software.

Multiple gas monitoring (like the Perdix) was one of them. Others like a user screen with your name on start up would have been nice. (I dive with 4 others who have the Eon - we all have different colour duct tape on the rear to identify them as teh only option.

As for the update, I'm completely underwhelmed.

Bluetooth - Meh! it "might" be useful on occasion if I want to adjust my settings on the fly rather than connecting to a computer. It's not that hard. Maybe if Subsurface or Macdive can make use of the bluetooth that might be useful, but personally I'm happy with the cable connection.
Currently It's set to Airplane mode so not to add additional drain to teh battery

Power changes, okay I suppose. I use mine regularly and have not seen a problem before. It's either charged or not. It always gets a full charge before a dive trip anyway.

Changes gases underwater. I almost got excited. On the Shearwater you can enable or disable gasses. On the Eon if you have a gas then it thinks you're carrying it. Rather than having to remove a gas and losing the transmitter pairing (or as I do change the mix to Air) if I'm not carrying it being able to enable or disable the gases on the list, would have been nicer

The new Menu's Hmm - I was never unhappy with the old way of only the data in the bottom right window scrolling. I've created two Dive Modes, one where the menus are as before and one with different data in the middle left display and I'll see which I prefer.

Hated the fact that the update reset my computer, it took a while to re configure it and my wife's. Now off to re pair our 6 Pods. Joy!

After updating to the new firmware I can no longer get a compass bearing lock, anyone else have this problem?

So basically Suunto has not been addressing any the suggestions in this owners thread. Sad. However lets hope we dont have to wait another 18 months for the next update.

Last edited:
hmm just curious .. what happend with version 1.3 .. why it skipped from 1.2 to 1.4.26 .. as for the rest, finally, time to test it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom