Question Eon Core AI v Peregrine TX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holden SoCal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking to have a "single pane of glass" for bottom time, air pressure, and compass, and am between the Eon Core (with pod) and the Peregrine TX. Ideally, I'd like to be able to see air pressure and usable compass at the same time, without fiddling with buttons to change views. The Eon seems to be must more customizable in terms of display elements, though it looks like it is possible to configure the Peregrine TX to include both air pressure and small compass in bottom row. With Suunto's current "free pod" promotion, the prices are pretty close.

I'd appreciate any first-hand experience or considerations when comparing these computers.

As a side question for folks with dive buddies with the same computers/transmitters -- is it possible to / what's the UI like to display a buddy's air pressure as well?

Looking to have a "single pane of glass" for bottom time, air pressure, and compass, and am between the Eon Core (with pod) and the Peregrine TX. Ideally, I'd like to be able to see air pressure and usable compass at the same time, without fiddling with buttons to change views. The Eon seems to be must more customizable in terms of display elements, though it looks like it is possible to configure the Peregrine TX to include both air pressure and small compass in bottom row. With Suunto's current "free pod" promotion, the prices are pretty close.
I have a Perdix AI. If the Peregrine TX was available, that’s what I’d get. Shearwater UI and customer service are too notch. The Peregrine also uses the Buhlmann ZHL-16 with GF algorithm. Essentially giving you a very high level of control over conservatism. The Suunto algorithm is proprietary. Lots of newer computers are shifting to Buhlmann.
As a side question for folks with dive buddies with the same computers/transmitters -- is it possible to / what's the UI like to display a buddy's air pressure as well?
Possible, but not really practical. You can program several transmitters into the Peregrine (assuming compatibility) and can be displayed as a full size, or part of a mini display. The transmission range is short, so you’d need to be real close to your buddy. About the only transmitters that have the range for this are the Garmin variety.

Oh, and that brings up another point. The Peregrine uses a transmitter that is compatible with many other brands. I use an Oceanic branded transmitter with my Perdix. The Suunto transmitter will only work with Suunto computers.

Garmin literally have it in the marketing lit. i think the only one that can list gas for buddies

I know that ratio also can show 2 transmitters simultaneously (in sidemount mode, but it would probably mess up your sac/rbt calculations)

Scubapro G2 does the same as well (sidemount mode; I use that one btw)
(Edit: not a big fan of their interpretation of Buhlmann, but otherwise great computer)

I don’t know any other computer that do that (show 2 transmitters on the same screen)

No experience here, I hear good things UI wise from a friend/buddy
I dislike that it does only RGBM no Buhlmann

Peregrine
No experience either — only used a sw for CCR, Shearwater algo is awesome, but I hear UI is not their best suit

Also they can use „generic“ transmitters like Aqualung, Oceanic, so more buddies that you can check on

"Free pod promotion"? Where is this? I couldn't find anything on their site.

When I was doing research recently, I found this post which I found really helpful: I know it's the Perdix instead of the Peregine TX, but the main differences are features the core doesn't have either, and I suspect you don't want yet - though you didn't mention what kind of diving you do.

The Eon Core seems to me to fit a price point a little between the Peregine and the Perdix, which I don't fully understand who it's designed for. The Eon Steel lets you pick your algorithm, but the Core doesn't let you choose Buhlmann.
And as folks have said, it uses a proprietary transmitter, so no sharing if they're different brands. If it's the same ... only if the software supports it in a useful way.

And as folks have said, it uses a proprietary transmitter, so no sharing if they're different brands. If it's the same ... only if the software supports it in a useful way.
Not even with older gen Sunnto TXs btw

Not even with older gen Sunnto TXs btw
Excellent point.
At least Garmin does that with the Descent Transmitters! They're cross-compatible, just maybe not all the fancier features.

Also, I feel obliged to add in: I know that reddit post misspelled Shearwater. It wasn't my question, I merely found it useful.

No experience either — only used a sw for CCR, Shearwater algo is awesome, but I hear UI is not their best suit
Actually, that’s not been my experience about the Shearwater UI. I’ve found the Shearwater UI to be great. I read the manual before getting my Perdix, so I wasn’t a good test subject. A friend of mine asked about my computer. Specifically about how to change the gas mix. I decided to try an experiment. I handed him my Perdix and told him how to turn it on. In less than 30 seconds he had found the gas mix setting and was able to change it.

Actually, that’s not been my experience about the Shearwater UI. I’ve found the Shearwater UI to be great. I read the manual before getting my Perdix, so I wasn’t a good test subject. A friend of mine asked about my computer. Specifically about how to change the gas mix. I decided to try an experiment. I handed him my Perdix and told him how to turn it on. In less than 30 seconds he had found the gas mix setting and was able to change it.
Maybe I didn’t describe what I meant well, that’s my bad 😅
They have a very intuitive UI actually in my opinion, it’s just.. it’s a bit lacking to my taste
Honestly I loved it for CCR, straight to the point and that’s their strength— and weakness in my taste: making a robust/intuitive/designed to fail gracefully/safely UI means it would do the extra flairy/exotic things, or at least they are downprioritized
I’m not sure if it’s enough for OC for me tho, the lack of dual on screen Tx for sidemount is what I miss the most

Not that the G2 is mindblowing or anything, but the combo of things I can get on one screen I like more
Sidemount AI, next to a (partial) plot with all the suggested stops overlayed
The G2 is less intuitive to navigate, but that dive screen is my fav so far
And lil extra I can upload pictures (maps and runtime plans) to it

But the g2 sucks algo front (no GF but I know how to hack match it), planning on computer (but who really does that?), and the way they made their submenus (coulda grouped stuff a lil bit differently)
It’s a great dive computer, till you go on a dive that warrants a backup — then it becomes a great backup for a shearwater 😅🤦🏽‍♀️

I’m not sure if it’s enough for OC for me tho, the lack of dual on screen Tx for sidemount is what I miss the most

I thought there was a specific sidemount mode you could use on the Perdix? I would have expected that to give you some form of dual tank display. But I've never tried.

Edit: Tech manual here. Search for "sidemount" (page 45 of the PDF).
I haven't ever used a G2, so I'm not certain how it compares or if it's the kind of thing you're thinking of. But from the pictures in the G2 manual here (page 50 of the PDF) it looks relatively similar.

What flairy/exotic things do you wish you could do more easily?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom