Envoy & Envoy Octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I own the Envoy primary and secondary as well as the Envoy octopus. I read somewhere that the two secondaries are identical except for the plastic colors and Zeagle logos.

I exchange secondaries during dives periodically to make sure both are working and the Envoy octo seems to breathe a bit harder than my main secondary. Are the internal working parts of these two the same or did I get bad info?

Not sure about those specifically. But typically an octopus will be tuned to make it less prone to freeflow, so it's quite possible they could be identical but the octo would be a little harder to breathe.

I've always been told that the Envoy primary and octo are the same reg except for the cover as well. I think Damselfish has the right answer.

The way my owner's manual described both units, they appear to be identical aside from housing color.

Both should have the "dive"/"pre-dive" levers on them to aid in freeflow protection upon entering the water. I've used both on dives to get them seated-in and the octo breathes identically to the primary imho.

diverdown247:
The way my owner's manual described both units, they appear to be identical aside from housing color.

Both should have the "dive"/"pre-dive" levers on them to aid in freeflow protection upon entering the water. I've used both on dives to get them seated-in and the octo breathes identically to the primary imho.

I didn't realize regs had a break in period. I use the octo FAR less than the main secondary. I think I will try using the octo for the next few dives and see if it wears in and breaths a bit more smoothly.

Everyone is right about the Envoy octo and Envoy primary, they're the same regulator, just a different color and hose length.

Tuning of an octo that has no external cracking effort control is generally prefered to be slightly less sensitive than a primary. However that is entirely up to you.

Chad

FishDiver:
I didn't realize regs had a break in period. I use the octo FAR less than the main secondary. I think I will try using the octo for the next few dives and see if it wears in and breaths a bit more smoothly.

Regardless of what ANY manufacturer tells you about their regulator, they all have a "seat-in" point. Since the units are mechanical in nature, treat them like any other mechanical device, but with even more care because this IS life support equipment.

Different brands will have different seat-in points. Usually this is detected by the start of a very minor free-flow from one regulator or both. This indicates the unit has been "seated-in" and is in need of tuning/service. The more you dive, the more you'll have to service your equipment.

Here's the gist on the Envoy:
My primary began a very minor free-flow after about 10-15 dives...it would make me look like a chipmunk as it slowly filled my mouth with just a little more air than was demanded. My LDS checked the demand adjustment on the primary and octo, then tuned them just a little to eliminate the minor free flow. No problems since the adjustment.

Back
Top Bottom