Environmentally sealed 1st stage mod

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andrewmcc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am new to diving and just finished my open water, so excuse any stupid part of my question. My wife was kind enough to buy me a new 1st and 2nd stage. She found a new Aqualung Core (not the Supreme) on sale because it is being discontinued. My question is that the basic Core is not environmentally sealed. Should I look to try to get the environmental seal kit to help prolong the life of the parts, or is it not a big deal as long I thoroughly clean it. I will only be doing warm water diving. If I do add the seal kit, will that do anything to my warranty? Thanks for any advice.

Don't bother. Sealing is nice to have in your diving conditions. It's really only must have in very cold water <40f and freezing air temperature. Rinse or soak 1st and 2nd's while pressurized, and it will last many years.

diaphragm regs are inherently somewhat sealed, the core should be fine if you don't do any cold water diving and rinse it after use in saltwater

Diaphragm regulators are by design mostly sealed, unless you start to dive colder water it will be fine

Excellent. Thank you all for the help.

If I ever decide to venture out to the cold, would my LDS be able to run with the mod?

Excellent. Thank you all for the help.

If I ever decide to venture out to the cold, would my LDS be able to run with the mod?
There are degrees of cold, you’ll need a lot more gear changes before the reg becomes an issue.

If it doesn't cost lots of $$ to get it sealed and there is a kit available for this model, I'd do it without second thoughts. It isn't about cold water diving only, it is also about keeping crud/sand/salt out of the balance chamber.

Which is why you buy them sealed in the first place

Not a issue if only used for tropical warm water but make sure you rinse all the exposed parts with fresh water diligently. Best is to submerge the reg under pressure in clean fresh water.
Cold water is another story.
I have been using the same dry sealed Apeks reg over 25yrs in warm/cold water.
Learn how to service the reg was a long term investment(to me at least).

Back
Top Bottom