Environmental Sealing Atomic B2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lexy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have an Atomic B2 that I've been diving with for almost a year (75+ dives, 80% shore diving, 20% boat diving). My LDS is encouraging me to have it environmentally sealed during yearly maintenance. I'm curious to hear your thoughts - what are the pros/cons of environmentally sealing? Will I still have access to all of the LP and HP ports? I'm no longer getting tumbled in the sand during surf entry/exit. I also take very good care of my gear.... so what do ya think? seal or no seal?

((sidenote: Yes the B2 is marketed for service every 2 years but my long term goal is to become a research diver with USC & they require service records indicating every year.))

It really depends on what temp water you are diving. I have a B1/T2 that I have 500 dives on it cold and very cold water. I've never had it sealed. I've also never had it freeze. The water temp here is 45 year round at depth. In southern California I wouldn't think you would need to have it done.

Go for it if you don't mind paying for about an ounce of Cristo lube (and potentially extra labor since it creates a lot of mess) every time you get it serviced. It wouldn't hurt but it's not necessary in southern California.

Hey Lexy,

I remember that my LDS (Liburdi's) told me the same thing a few years ago about my Z1. Their reasoning had to do with reducing the likelihood of sand getting into the 1st stage and causing problems as a result of the conditions involved with beach diving in SoCal. I have no plans on doing it.

Aaron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom