Entry with Camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thank you to all for the responses... one more question: would your entry be any different if this is a night dive?

the_cat_keeper:
thank you to all for the responses... one more question: would your entry be any different if this is a night dive?
Only that it would be darker and the sun wouldn't be shining.

Warren_L:
I've seen and heard too many horror stories about giant strides in the water with camera gear.

I'm curious about the horror stories...

ssra30:
If I have to do giant stride, it is a bit more difficult with negative entry. I did a little compromise and keep my BCD inflated a bit, do a giant stride while holding the camera above my head (one hand pressing on the mask and reg).
If this is a night dive, what do you do with the torchlight? Do you hold it in the hand pressing the mask and reg?

I tried this weekend doing a giant leap and holding my camera high above my head, as well as when holding my camera to my chest when doing a back roll... it worked! :)

the_cat_keeper:
If this is a night dive, what do you do with the torchlight? Do you hold it in the hand pressing the mask and reg?
Get a canister light! Yeah I know not cheap, but makes things much easier. Light head stays clipped to chest D ring when entering water.

I've had to jump with my camera twice. Once did the hold it above my head and giant stride move.

The other time was on much smaller boat. I clipped it to my left chest D ring, and held it in place with my arm, so it didn't hit me in the head. The jump was short enought, that the impact wasn't that great.

I had an S50 flood on me. Prior to the flood, I would always giant stride or backroll with it. I think I probably had something on the o-ring; its also possible I slightly warped the case by taking it below its rated depth, eventually causing a leak. I did backroll with the case on the dive where it finally bit the dust. I'm still thinking it was diver error (specifically me) with the o-ring. I put the "flooded" and non-working camera back in, and found that I didn't get a leak with it, although I didn't think of that as a conclusive test. Unfortunately I didn't buy myself a replacement S45 or S50 at the time (I got a deal on a C5050 rig while in Palau), so I now have a semi-suspect case for a discontinued camera. It'll probably never be used again.

I've never done a back roll or giant stride with my C5050 in its patima housing. That thing would do damage to me if it flopped around, and it won't fit in a BCD pocket. I have done numerous surf entries without a problem, but I wouldn't do it through heavy surf (and I did surf entries with the S50 in the WP-DC300, too). These days, I'll hand the camera off and have it handed down simply because its not a big deal to do so in most cases. If it came to it, I really wouldn't be too worried about a backroll. For a giant stride, I'd want the camera secure so it doesn't whack me.

Out of curiosity, and given the depth ratings of the camera housings, has anyone ever calculated the force of an entry versus what the cameras are rated to absorb at depth? Lets face it, I'm not worried about my 100m rated watch flooding on a giant stride, how much different is the camera seal? Granted its not quite the same, as its a shearing impact versus an all over force, but what is the overall force of a giant stride impact? Any worse than getting hit by a reasonable sized wave in the impact-zone?

Bob at Southern Nikonos says NO, and that's enough warning for me! And a Nikonos is much more friendly than a housing.

lamont:

Well, someone did a giant stride with his canon camera and housing during our Cozumel trip earlier this year and the camera just popped out and sank to the bottom.

I have a canon s70 and 1 inon D-2000 (so pretty compact). I fold the arms in and tighten them so its a nice tight little ball. Just keep it tight to my tummy even on a giant stride entrance from 2m up (these chinese junks we use in Hong Kong sit pretty high above the water line...). I just try to make an effort to avoid falling into water leaning fwd... Sometimes kind of a twist off the boat so I am landing slight facing twds the boat and so my backside takes more of the hit... Never scored a 9.9 on style points from the Russian judge for that though...

Back
Top Bottom