Entry with Camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told to always, always, always have someone hand me my camera from the boat as the concusion of landing in the water whether jumping, rolling or whatever may pop your camera housing open.

better safe than flooded!!

Using a c5050, pt015 and with a INON strobe. I bring the camera and strobe folded up tight against my body with my arm covering it and Giant stride in. Have yet to have a problem. I was in nassau back in april and a diver was retriving the camera from someone on the boat. The handoff was less than smooth and camera and strobes went right to the bottom. Fortunatly, the system was retrived with no damage but I always like to keep my rig clipped to me just in case.

I used to jump in and then swim back, but for the past 18 months (apx 6+dives a month) I've just held on to it as SSR describes...

Giant Stride entry, hold camera with bent arm above my head. The fins break the initial shock and the bent arm absorbs the next shock... and the gently hits the water... I used to worry about it, but then driving back and forth to dive sites, I figure the camera set up is getting worse shocks (even though I carry it normally in a milk crate lined with bubble wrap) driving around and nothing shows any different wear and tear.

From the above instances, it would appear to be a problem whether you held it or picked it up... Now if I were doing a GS off a 5 foot deck, I'd think twice, but normally not any more... Oly 4040 in Tetra housing with 2 SB105 Stobes...

I love the camera and set up as much as other divers love theirs, but I'm of the thinking that these things are not as delicate as some make them out to be. You set them down gently with about as much force as I go in the water... Now would I drop them on the floor, absolutely not.. but then I don't carry them around on a feathered pillow either..
Have had the camera ever since the new OLY 3030 and 4040 came out, same strobes too..

Night, doesn't make any difference as you have the dive light secured... heheh.. have a scare on my forehead from doing a back roll with a dive light NOT secured...

Haven't tried a back roll with the camera... yet.... that is.. but close to chest and all bundled up, would feel comfortable in doing it..

Just my $.02 worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom