Entry level wrist watch computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Real watch style computers (closer to a mans watch size that you might wear on land - rather than a large wrist mounted puck that you would not except maybe between dives) will generally be out of your price range, often WAY out of your price range. I can't tell from your profile, but for a woman I'm also not sure there's any out there I'd want to wear as a watch on a regular basis.

And there are tradeoffs - besides being expensive they can be harder to operate and read because of the size. They're probably just the right thing for some people, but personally I can't see the utility for most people in wearing a dive computer as a watch. Some people perceive a cool factor there, but I don't think that's a good reason to get one. It's less expensive to buy a normal computer and a separate watch that will each do their job better. So I'd think more if you really want a watch style computer and why.

.....I'm looking at sth like this:
- Oceanic geo 2.0 (great reviews but apparently the manual is pretty bad?)....
If you register the Geo 2 with Oceanic they will send you a free activation code for the Geo 2 online class.

- Cressi Leonardo
- Aeris Manta
We have classes for those too.

Any other suggestions?
Whatever dive computer brand / model you end up purchasing, make sure your learn how to properly use it.

Probably can't get a true wristwatch-style computer in the price range you mention. For example, Leisure Pro has the entry-level Suunto D4i for USD 500: Suunto D4i Wrist Computer Black 168240.

Wristwatch-style computers can be fun--very James Bond / Dick Tracy--and if my eyesight were not getting worse with age, I might still be using my Suunto D6.

Real watch style computers (closer to a mans watch size that you might wear on land - rather than a large wrist mounted puck that you would not except maybe between dives) will generally be out of your price range, often WAY out of your price range. I can't tell from your profile, but for a woman I'm also not sure there's any out there I'd want to wear as a watch on a regular basis.

And there are tradeoffs - besides being expensive they can be harder to operate and read because of the size. They're probably just the right thing for some people, but personally I can't see the utility for most people in wearing a dive computer as a watch. Some people perceive a cool factor there, but I don't think that's a good reason to get one. It's less expensive to buy a normal computer and a separate watch that will each do their job better. So I'd think more if you really want a watch style computer and why.

+1 -- I already have a watch, the one that also makes phone calls. For the dive computer, I want to be able to see what it says which means watch-sized displays are out.

That said, casio makes any number of watches w/ bottom timers, digital compasses, and what have you. (Edit: the only problem is, judging by google search results they're made of pure unobtainium.)

Thanks a lot for all the info, I guess you're right about the manuals...I just mentioned what I read in user's reviews...I'll check out Suunto, thanks!

---------- Post added March 7th, 2015 at 12:15 AM ----------

Thanks Victorzamora, can I ask what's so bad about Cressi, Suunto and Mares?

---------- Post added March 7th, 2015 at 12:20 AM ----------

Thanks Dmaziuk, any suggestions what you'd consider a good dive comp? I'm not planning to constantly wear this as a watch, only on diving trips, and I'm just looking for something that is not the size of a hockey puck :)

---------- Post added March 7th, 2015 at 12:32 AM ----------

Does anyone have any experience with Mares Puck Pro or Suunto Zoop?

---------- Post added March 7th, 2015 at 12:36 AM ----------

Thanks Scubadada, how is the display on Geo2? Do you find it big enough as it is watch size? I don't plan to wear it all the time as a watch, just on dive trips..so that's why I'm looking for sth that is not too bulky...

I have no exp with the Mares Puck. I owned a Gekko years ago, older Zoop, it was very reliable and very simple to use. The basic model has been around for many years. It does everything an OW diver might need. It doesn't have a back light but is phosphorescent so when night diving you'll need to charge it by shining light on it for a few seconds. Personally I prefer that to the push button back lights, it's easier to activate if wearing gloves. They now come in black also which IMO is much nicer than the awful oange or yellow that they also come in. DSS make a bungee mount for the Zoop which is a nice "upgrade". Oh and the battery goes on and on. The only downside to it is Suuntos customer service which has a more sketchy than not reputation. Thankfully I've never needed to test it personally. Good luck.

---------- Post added March 6th, 2015 at 09:08 PM ----------

With my aging eyes I need wrist too due to larger display. Watch style for me are nice in theory but not so much in application. They are also bit of a pain the put on especially wearing gloves. The DSS bungee mounts make putting on/taking off a breeze, unlikely to lose it due to redundant bungee lacing system.

Thanks Dmaziuk, any suggestions what you'd consider a good dive comp? I'm not planning to constantly wear this as a watch, only on diving trips, and I'm just looking for something that is not the size of a hockey puck

I've a Cressi Leonardo. It's 6.5 cm in diameter, almost 3 cm thick, and has the strap long enough to fit a very thick wrist in a 7mm glove. It does everything I want from a budget recreational dive computer. It doesn't have user-settable alarms, but I can't say I miss them. It doesn't come with a shiny bright oled screen, either, but that takes much better budget: US $800 territory.

Not sure if watch style is a must, if you are open to puck style, $250 Hollis DG03 at DGX is very hard to beat.

There is only one thing I don't like about DG03, or any Oceanic/Hollis/Aeris AUP computers is their choice of information to dispaly.

Take DG03 for example: the main dive screen, the top is empty, 2nd row shows PSI (if you use transmitter), dive time. The 3rd row shows dive time remaining, and depth. I really don't understand this choice. I think display current depth at the 1st row empty spot (with big font), and max depth on 3rd row (in place of current depth) would make the most sense. Why waste the valueable real estate in the main dive screen.

Last edited:
As the original poster mentioned he is a "rescue diver" and though I'm not, but in the similar volunteer SAR, first-responder role, I prefer to not have anything on my hands, wrists, and arms to get in my way. Especially a clunky watch on my wrist. I would suggest a good console. An AI datamax proplus 2.1 can be had new from most places for $350(us).
If you are also looking to show-off on land that you're a diver then invest in a citizen eco-dive or casio g-shock. I have recently acquired a watch style dc that is clipped to my BC as a backup should my console fail.
Consider the right tools to do the job right.

Thanks Scubadada, how is the display on Geo2? Do you find it big enough as it is watch size? I don't plan to wear it all the time as a watch, just on dive trips..so that's why I'm looking for sth that is not too bulky...

The display on the Geo is pretty easy to read, almost as easy as my VT3, no problem for me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom