Entanglement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK you guy's are scaring me. Mainly for my 2 children that I've just introduced into scuba. From what I gather here is that it is nearly impossible to free yourself from a mono gillnet and only a slightly better chance with a buddy who should have been within 3 feet of you and probably got tangled as well. Did I lead them into the lions den? As for myself if something happens while I'm diving and I don't come back.. well I was doing what I loved and I've had a good run. For them they have their whole life ahead of them and put their total faith and trust in me to keep them safe. What can be done to minimize the risk of this particular danger? Would it be safer to only dive with large groups that are led by a DM where many divers at slightly different depth and position are around? Are there areas in the world that have less risk of net's?

First, I'd say calm down a bit. I can see where you would be concerned.

As to how to avoid such things, stay away from wrecks and other places where people like to fish, for starters.

I think your idea of diving with DM lead groups is a good one as they generally don't take groups to places that have hazards. Also they usually know each site very well.

Make sure you and each of your kids has a good pair of shears handy, like on the should strap and know how to use them. As scary as it might sound, it might be worth it to practice entanglement in a controled situation, maybe in a pool?

Learn such things as staying calm, removing gear (especially fins) and putting it back on, deploying and using the shears in a calm manner.

Bottom line is, it like they taught you in OW class. Don't remember the exact wording but here's my interpretation, stop, breath, relax, think (make a plan of attack), act.

While it is good to be concerned, I don't think you need to worry much at this point in time. First, if your kids are newer divers, it should be a long, long time before they are diving in a place where this will be an issue. Any of the "commerical" dive locations like Cozumel, Grand Caymen, etc. generally don't have these problems. They dive these sites multiple times a day which doesn't give much opportunity for fishing and if there is a line snagged, it is removed quickly. Second, where this becomes more of an issue is on the wrecks which is not an enviroment you have to dive in to enjoy diving. If in the future they want to explore wrecks they will have better training and awareness to handle the situation. As was said above a good DM knows where to stay away from so enjoy the resort diving for now and make sure your childern are prepared to handle the situation if it ever arises.

If you're going to dive locally, entanglement could be an issue.

Hey, that's OK. If your kids don't dive solo, it's no big thing for buddies to help each other with stuff like this. My Dad had both my brother and I certified as kids in Southern CA, and in our youthful enthusiasm, we would wrap ourselves up in the kelp almost every dive. We knew the procedure to get untangled and to untangle our buddies, so it was never a problem.

This is an issue to be aware of and prepared for - not to be afraid of - like so many other diving issues. I would guess that a lot of people are going to get caught on something today while diving (bunches of 'em just at Catalina Island) and extricate themselves without an issue.

Yes, it would be very bad to get caught in a gill net solo diving. But, unless your kids plan on solo diving, I wouldn't turn that into an issue that paralyzes you from letting them safely enjoy this great sport.

es601:
OK you guy's are scaring me. Mainly for my 2 children that I've just introduced into scuba. From what I gather here is that it is nearly impossible to free yourself from a mono gillnet and only a slightly better chance with a buddy who should have been within 3 feet of you and probably got tangled as well. Did I lead them into the lions den? As for myself if something happens while I'm diving and I don't come back.. well I was doing what I loved and I've had a good run. For them they have their whole life ahead of them and put their total faith and trust in me to keep them safe. What can be done to minimize the risk of this particular danger? Would it be safer to only dive with large groups that are led by a DM where many divers at slightly different depth and position are around? Are there areas in the world that have less risk of net's?

Don't believe everything you hear on the internet. Many of the horror stories are written by people who are worried about these kinds of things but have never been in one and have little or no idea what it takes to get out.

How many verifiable gill-net deaths have you ever heard about among divers? Even horrendous "cyber-nightmares" of such things are rare.

R..

--note I think this thread should be moved out of the accidents forum --

es601:
Gill nets are a real concern, no doubt. I've been physically present when an experienced diver had a dramatic encounter with one. It was a nonsurvivable outcome, had it not been for at least four other divers who responded.

But there are many things you can do to avoid them. First, gill net fishermen in the state of Washington string the nets out only during certain times of the year. The nets are well marked on the surface. They hang down from the surface perhaps 20' or so (there are different sizes). If you do a site survey before you go diving, you'll certainly be able to see nets in the area - assuming they are there. (Dive someplace else...)

Obviously you won't find them in quarries, and you likely won't be diving where they're used in the open ocean offshore. I suspect you're most likely to encounter them when diving in saltwater near the shoreline. They're often used in Puget Sound, harbors, waterways, and other semi-confined bodies of water. They used to be used in the Great Lakes, however, it's been awhile now and I've no idea if this is still allowed or not. Primarily it is a tribal authorization, TTBOMK, gill nets are illegal for many other commercial fishermen to use.

Like many other hazards, they're best dealt with by teams. Know when and where the nets are deployed and avoid those areas (State Departments of Fisheries and Wildlife). Do surface surveys of dive sites before committing to the dive. Always dive with buddies. Learn to dive as teams. Carry shears, not knives.

Many activities offer significant risks: hang gliding, parachuting, rock climbing, white water kayaking, etc. As you said, we introduce our children to these things and we teach them not to be afraid of them, but to be cautious and professional in minimizing the inherent risks. It is the same with scuba and gill nets. You cannot eliminate the risk (except by not diving), but you can be cautious and professional in ensuring you have the best options available to reduce and mitigate the risks. Education is, as it nearly always is, the best preparation.

Regards,

Doc

PS - As Diver0001 said, reports of verifiable deaths due to gill nets are pretty scarce. OTOH, reports of divers being crushed while lifting heavy objects during salvage operations are rare also, but I've a few citations sitting in one of my notebooks. It is wise to at least be aware of the issue, but your concern should be tempered by recognizing that actual risks are very low.

Thanks guy's and sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum. I just got back from the beneath the sea expo and drove there with a buddy of mine who has been diving the wrecks here off Long Island for many years and he told me that he did get entangled up in a mono gillnet in near zero vis and just cut everything he could feel around him with a z-knife. Thankfully he got out, but his buddy was of little help due to the vis. He has much more diving experience and a military diving background and emphasized the not panicking scenario. He was lucky. I do notice though that since his first caribbean dive vacation last year he has much less desire to dive locally.Of course he did mention wanting to dive the Andrea Doria at the expo though. Not for me in my life. As far as the wreck diving, at this stage in my life I'm happy doing shallow reefs in warm clear water or a relatively shallow resort or Key's wreck with no penetration. Had I started diving when I was younger it might have been a different story after all as youngsters we knew everything and were immortal. As for my kids.. shallow frequently dived reefs for as long as I can keep them there!

I actually practiced getting freed from a gillnet. 1] don't panic 2] remove your bc and tank and turn to face it. 3] peal the net off your valve and bc as you are kicking away. This works and is a good thing to practice. They used to include it in advanced open water certs. Not sure if 'they' still do.

Back
Top Bottom