ENT recommendations for Ruptured Eardrum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IrnBear

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I think I have exhausted my ENT options in the Vegas area. Looking to be seen elsewhere.
Preferably by a Dr that knows what he/she is looking at and doing.

I ruptured my eardrum back in June. Pond Swing One and Half back flip landing went wrong..
Had a pinhole that could be seen for the first month
After, MD's unable to visualize any damage to the eardrum
Yet, Im able to blow bubbles out my ear when the MD places fluid in it.
MD's state my eardrum is healed.. Because they are no longer able to see any damage to the eardrum and the eardrum moves adequately with equalization.... yet, still have are passing through..

With the sound wave device, no waveform at left ear
That was at the beginning of Aug
Most recent MD did not do that test

First MD opted to refer me to second MD after two months and unable to see damage yet air passing by.

Thinking I need a better evaluation and opinion

Any MD suggestions and why you suggest them would be great.

Thank you,

Bradley

Brad,
I apologize for SoCal divers not responding to your cry for help.

Ears and hearing is a precious gift and should be protected, maintained and if necessary treated by the most highly qualified doctors possible.
As one who began participating in this sport many moons ago even prior to the advent of the dive mask I have experienced my fair share of ear problems which has greatly reduced my hearing. I had a close friend who after being examined for ringing and hearing loss reported that the examining Doc stated his ear drums "reminded him of "the back side of the moon-from all the scare tissue build up"

I have briefly discussed this with my son, Dr.Sam IV, who is an ER & Hyperbaric doctor.

It was a consensus that you possibly have a microscopic audio area "Bleb" which is a small flap undectable by normal EET instrumentation .

If has been a mantra forever, if you suffer a marine injury go to the Doctor who has a practice nearest the beach. They generally have seen and treated numerous cases; go ten miles inland and the doctors have never seen or treated a marine injury. I suspect Las Vegas doctors are fantastic doctors but seldom see an injury similar to yours.

Therefore, I would suggest that you may want to contact Scripps hospital in San Diego for advise and possible treatment.

Good luck! Keep us (or me) in the loop as to your progress in treatment and recovery.

SDM

After, MD's unable to visualize any damage to the eardrum
Yet, Im able to blow bubbles out my ear when the MD places fluid in it.

That just means (1) there IS a perforation, and (2) it may be too small for a doctor to see with a handheld otoscope, or even sometimes with a microscope. But if a patient can blow bubbles out of their ear, there is a perforation no matter what any other testing shows.

MD's state my eardrum is healed.. Because they are no longer able to see any damage to the eardrum and the eardrum moves adequately with equalization.... yet, still have are passing through..

With a small perforation, you will still see motion of the eardrum on valsalva (pinching the nose and blowing).

With the sound wave device, no waveform at left ear

I'm assuming that you meant a tympanogram, which doesn't test hearing, but can also provide evidence of a perforation or middle are fluid.

If you can blow bubbles out of your ear you shouldn't dive until the perforation heals on its own or is fixed. Fixing this small hole may require an operation. See an otologist (ENT doctor specializing in ears). You don't necessarily need a doctor with experience in diving medicine for something like this - and it is much harder to find someone who is both an experienced otologist AND experienced in diving medicine.

If you can get to LA, I would go to the House Ear Institute.

Thank you for the responses.

I have considered contacting Scripps to see who they might suggest.
I'm not a DAN member so I don't know if they would respond to my request.

I am able to get to LA, that House Ear Institute sounds like a good path to take. Thank you for the link.

I apologize if anyone thought I was suggesting that all the SoCal dive folks are MDs.... I was more looking for folks that may have had a good experience with a good ENT in the SoCal area.

I am very distressed over this issue.
I am a fish that has been told to stay out of the water. I imagine some of you may know how that might feel.

Thank you again for the replies,

Bradley

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom