Enriched Air v. Advanced Open Water Certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be doing both at the same time. LDS has the option of combining them and getting a discount, so why the heck not :)

Great idea especially since the nitrox class does not involve any underwater skills. I have always thought the best thing about AOW is getting in front of an instuctor again. If you have the extra $100 to 150 for the nitrox class, I would take both. The advice on the Peak Buoyancy Control class was good too

Seems like they should spend just a tiny amount more time in the OW class and include nitrox in the OW cert.

Seems like they should spend just a tiny amount more time in the OW class and include nitrox in the OW cert.

I did AOW private with a instructor and incorporated Dry Suit and Nitrox.

I did AOW private with a instructor and incorporated Dry Suit and Nitrox.
Sure. Lots of people do. My wife did her OW class and nitrox class at the same time and got both - but on two cert cards. When she took AOW, she did the drysuit specialty and got two cert cards too.

But I was suggesting that PADI should expand the OW course slightly, to include nitrox as part of that class - then all OW cards after a certain date would indicate nitrox cert. That would be pretty cool.

I just finished my AOW class and recommend it first. That class will give you more dives and suggestions on how to improve your skills. Then if you are interested in going deep, go for the EANx. I choose both as I knew that I wanted to go explore the deep areas.

But I was suggesting that PADI should expand the OW course slightly, to include nitrox as part of that class - then all OW cards after a certain date would indicate nitrox cert. That would be pretty cool.

BSAC now include nitrox in their ocean diver syllabus. In theory its a good idea (other than their half-arsed restrictive implementation that makes it pointless to actually use).

You can combine it with a padi OW course and other agencies.

seems to me that you should take AOW only when you are truly ready and only from a REALLY good teacher. Some teachers I have heard basically just offer 6 more dives and a deeper dive, that does little to improve skills.

Then if you are interested in going deep, go for the EANx.

Depends on how you define deep. Depending on the mix and the PO2 that you are comfortable with, nitrox does not necessarily allow you to go deep. For example, on EAN32 and a PO2 of 1.4, your depth limit is 111 feet.

Lots of good advice here, though I am going to disagree with many of the posters and say if you can't combine them, do EAN first.

Here is my reasoning. There is not a whole lot of theory in AOW. Sure, it is a good class for a new diver to take, and you will get a few experience dives under your belt. Navigation is always good to practice, and it may be a good idea to be with an instructor for your first night dive.

But you will learn alot more gas theory in EANx. You will learn alot more about what nitrogen does in your blood and tissues, why it behaves the way it does, and what it can do to you. You will learn more of what you need to know about diving in a nitrox course.

And as far as value of the card itself? A nitrox card will open up different mixes for you to dive, which can reduce your risk of DCS by reducing your exposure to nitrogen. It can allow more bottom time, which as a new diver may not come into play for a while. But this is card you can use.

AOW on the other hand? Not so much, untill you are going for an advanced cert that requires AOW as a prequisite. A log book with some dives over 60 feet will replace an AOW card for most ops that ask for one.

I took AOW first, nitrox came some time later, it wasn't really even a class when I got certified. But if I were to do it today, knowing what I know now, I would do EANx first.

.......It can allow more bottom time, which as a new diver may not come into play for a while........

This is some very good advice and solid reasoning for taking EANx first. A point of view I had not really thought about.

Just a point of clarification for those reading this just in case. What seaducer means in the above quote is that you will have more bottom time by way of repetetive dives and NOT that a tank will last you longer. This is likely obvious however a new diver may see hope where there is none. Your SAC will not really change with Nitrox over air. Nitrox diving increases your total bottom time by increasing your "No Decompression Limit" by reducing the nitrogen intake (and thus build-up) and increasing the oxygen content in the air you breathe.

Back
Top Bottom