Enriched Air Nitrox Certification - Why such variance in cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just double checked dive shops in my region, some do it the way you describe, some do it the way I describe. Interesting that agency has not moved to standardize that to promote their e-learning program.
Training agency does not dictate what a facility charges for courses or products.

Training agency does not dictate what a facility charges for courses or products.

That was my point. Training agencies have to have a business model, just like manufacturers do. Part of creating that model is deliberate decisions about how you will create a revenue stream and how much you will protect your value chain. Apple is extremely protective of its value chain, the price you pay does not change substantially from one store to another, allthough this is loosening. By enforcing a strict value chain they ensure a steady revenue stream. A dive agency is no different. It is in their interest to make deliberate decisions about their value chain. If they are going to make a significant investment into e-learning they should have a model that ensures a return on that investment. History shows us time and again that efficient Business models win out over inefficient ones. Business models with wide variances in cost and lacking standardization do not protect value chains and will ultimately fail as competition increases.

Within diving we are seeing this a lot. Head Inc bought SSI and Mares to integrate equipment and training and their relationship. It appears they are ahead of others in maximizing their value chain to a specific business model. Deep6 is using the Tesla model of direct to consumer to protect their value chain. GUE relys on a model of exclusivity and prestige, demanding a high price for it. Models that rely on a conglomeration of small stores with inconsistent pricing and inconsistent practices are falling like dominoes in the last 20 years across multiple industries.

This is all a little depressing when we are talking about something we have a passion for, diving, but it is a reality that must be faced.

Let the hate mail commence.

I know I'm late to the party, but now that the thread has been bumped...

Your earlier point was that if you know how to use the tables, you can continue diving after your computer conks out. My reply showed that if your first dive is multi-level, you cannot use the tables for a second dive if the computer conks out, because your first dive will likely be off the table. The vast majority of my dives are multi-level, so my in-depth knowledge of the tables would do me no good in the case of a computer failure.
Well, if you (general "you") had a decent idea of your profile, you could fudge a multilevel table dive using only the RDP and at least get a decent ballpark figure. And if you know to calculate an EAD, you don't even need a dedicated nitrox table (Which, AFAIK, PADI only publishes for EAN32 and EAN36, so if you're on 29% you're SOL anyway).

But I'd like to know why you didn't provide the information that it was a multilevel dive already the first time you brought up the case. I've seen that done on SB before (I did a dive to XX dept and stayed under for YY minutes, where am I now?) and think that kind of questions are more than a little disingenious. It's asking someone to provide an answer to a problem while deliberately withholding information required to solve the problem.

the Nitrox tables are considerably more complicated.
Huh? I guess I have to recalibrate my sarcasm-o-meter. It didn't ping at all at this.

Our summer vacation with the family includes diving where Nitrox is included. In preparation for the trip, I have tried to find a Nitrox training course for my son and grandsons that would not break the bank. In checking several of the local shops, I have found a very wide variance in costs. Not only does the course cost vary from one shop to another and from one agency to another, but there seem to be other costs that are not stated on the shop's webpage. It's just not that hard guys! EANx seems to be one of those little "profit centers". Rant over.

View attachment 447341

What's a grandpa to do? By the way, I have found an instructor that can work with our schedules and at a (sort of) reasonable price, but realllllllllly, a price variance from $85 to $330?
Did my course with my local PADI dive shop [2 dives + class+ "exam"]= ~$US 235.

Undoubtedly true, but that does not get you the c-card. You then have to pay an LDS 80-100 to do the live training bringing total to 260-280, more than what most dive shops charge to just do the training. That pattern holds true for most PADI e-learning, not sure why anyone would go that route.
Not at our shop (and other I know of). 180 is all you pay. the test and practical are no additional charge. If you wanted to do an optional dive with an instructor, that would be extra.

Might have a little to do if they bought through the shop or online as well.
not for padi - when you buy online you have to select a shop.

I did the PADI book version at my LDS. On payment of $120. the book was provided with the advice that all material should be read and understood in time for next week's class session. At the class all material was reviewed and questions asked and answered. Hands on with computer setup and O2 analysis completed the instruction. Test and discussion. Bada bing, Bada boom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom