Enriched Air Nitrox Certification - Why such variance in cost?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Charles2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Our summer vacation with the family includes diving where Nitrox is included. In preparation for the trip, I have tried to find a Nitrox training course for my son and grandsons that would not break the bank. In checking several of the local shops, I have found a very wide variance in costs. Not only does the course cost vary from one shop to another and from one agency to another, but there seem to be other costs that are not stated on the shop's webpage. It's just not that hard guys! EANx seems to be one of those little "profit centers". Rant over.

EANx.jpg

What's a grandpa to do? By the way, I have found an instructor that can work with our schedules and at a (sort of) reasonable price, but realllllllllly, a price variance from $85 to $330?

Understand that doing an actual dive is no longer a requirement for the certification--well, at least by PADI. However, a dive shop may include a dive in their quoted price. Make sure you're comparing apples with apples.

Our summer vacation with the family includes diving where Nitrox is included. In preparation for the trip, I have tried to find a Nitrox training course for my son and grandsons that would not break the bank. In checking several of the local shops, I have found a very wide variance in costs. Not only does the course cost vary from one shop to another and from one agency to another, but there seem to be other costs that are not stated on the shop's webpage. It's just not that hard guys! EANx seems to be one of those little "profit centers". Rant over.

View attachment 447341

What's a grandpa to do? By the way, I have found an instructor that can work with our schedules and at a (sort of) reasonable price, but realllllllllly, a price variance from $85 to $330?

I found a variance too, but my suggestion is to stay away from elearning from PADI. My experience is that it always costs more than the books. What kind of logic that is is beyond me. There’s no MSRP so if the price is in the right ballpark, including the manual, and the location is convenient, that’ll be my choice.

And yeah, no dive required as @Lorenzoid stated.

Understand that doing an actual dive is no longer a requirement for the certification--well, at least by PADI. However, a dive shop may include a dive in their quoted price. Make sure you're comparing apples with apples.

I did contact these shops. There are no dives included. There does seem to be a difference in the delivery of the training.

I did PADI elearning with my local DS for under $200.....we'll worth it. Took all of one day....elearn then a short visit to the shop.

NAUI does require two dives if it is being taught as part of the NAUI Basic OPEN Water Certification Course or if the instructor is familiar with the student and their abilities. If not a check-out dive is required but does not count towards the course. Otherwise no open water dive is required. NAUI S&P 2018. Of course as always with NAUI the instructor executes a contract with the student which will specify the cost, number of dives required and any books or equipment required and estimated cost of those. The NAUI Instructor is always free and encouraged to add to the course and may require more dives if they choose to for any course they teach.

Last edited:
I found a variance too, but my suggestion is to stay away from elearning from PADI. My experience is that it always costs more than the books. What kind of logic that is is beyond me. There’s no MSRP so if the price is in the right ballpark, including the manual, and the location is convenient, that’ll be my choice.

And yeah, no dive required as @Lorenzoid stated.

The shop that we will be diving with this summer did offer to do the certification for free if we signed up for PADI eLearning through them - $175 to PADI. Although convenient, it still seemed too high and we did not want to spend the extra training time while on vacation.

Somehow, we must think alike. I did sign up with an independent instructor that lives about 10 miles from me. All in, including the manuals, dive tables, tank analysis, logging, dive planning, and certification card for $100 each.

If you purchase the crewpak (Book & DVD)- that is a cost of $90 directly by shop to PADI and your certification card cost $25. All a Instructor has to do
is give student a 24 question test & analyze a nitrox tank. to me charging $300 is highway robbery.

NAUI does require two dives if the instructor is familiar with the student and their abilities. If not a check-out dive is required but does not count towards the course. NAUI S&P 2018. Of course as always with NAUI the instructor executes a contract with the student which will specify the cost, number of dives required and any books or equipment required and estimated cost of those. The NAUI Instructor is always free and encouraged to add to the course and may require more dives if they choose to for any course they teach.

Thanks, Colonel. I got your note, but the 'reply' was not available. I did contact Seth and he will be conducting the training. He seems a very competent instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom