Enlarging a mask skirt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,
I purchased the oceanic datamask. I love it but it barely fits and leaks - yes I have a big head. Is anyone aware of any mods tha can be done to the skirt and how?
Oceanic wont play due to the liability issue and I dont want to go back to a handheld computer etc.

If Oceanic won't sell you and install a larger frame/mask your options might be limited to duck tape.

Thanks Bill, If I thought it would work I would do it, I was thinking more of a customised item!

I have several rhetorical questions that I just HAVE to ask:

Did you actually spend that much money on a mask without trying it on first?
How does one "love" a mask that "barely fits and leaks"?
What possible "mods" do you think could effectively be performed on a single piece of rubber?

Ok, had to get that out of my system. Now, a real question:

Any possibility that in an effort to prevent it from leaking that you are wearing it too tightly? I find that most people who have leaky mask issues are actually causing/worsening the problem by cranking the mask strap down in an effort to "force" the mask to fit. The purpose of a mask strap is to keep the mask from falling off your head... not to secure it to your face.

Of course, this is more of a problem with the Datamask as it is heavier and can get torqued by current, surge, or even just moving your head quickly. My buddy has one. He loves "the idea" of the Datamask, but I'm not so sure he loves "the execution" so much. In fact I've never heard him refer to it as anything but "my ****ing Datamask" or "this piece of **** Datamask" or "my Datamask, which is back at Oceanic again."

Good luck!

Go into the Amazon find some native tribe who still practise head shrinking:D

But seriously, you may be out of luck. I'm too curious as to how you ended up with an ill fitting mask to begin with. Or was it one those that fitted great in the shop?

Good luck, it's an expensive piece of equipment I hope you get it sorted somehow.

Did you buy this in person from a shop? If they sold it to you with such a gross disparity I'd work them over. If you did this online........

That probably leaves:
1) unload it and move on
2) If you are real crafty then make a negative paster casting of your face, then a positive. You can then make a mold and cast skirt extensions with 2 part silicone compound. I have always wanted to mess with that stuff!

Even if you fix the mask (highly unlikely) the combination of lens area and your eye spacing probably makes for an awful field of view.

It's a neat gadget but you can surely live and dive without it. Don't hold you computer, put it in a console, wrist, hose or retractor mount. If you need constant visibility of that data you have something else going on.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom