English language: bet you don't know this!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

C'mon....

It is below the basic level in order to take a TOEFL.....:wink:

pipedope:
Few Americans speak english, most speak some variation of american.

England and America, two nations separated by a common language. :D

I learned on a bus tour of the UK which was 80% Australians that I/we speak American, they speak Australian, and much of the UK speaks English.

(as a side note, it's hard to beat an Australian attempting a Scottish accent for amusement.)

If Webster was a diver, we'd probably not have a dictionary...he would have been way to busy.

If we had the communication skills of Cetacea we wouldn't need English and all the confusion it causes!

Hoa!

The Kraken:
And please do remember, one doesn't "graduate" from an instution of learning, one is "graduated" from the institution of learning. One cannot confer a degree upon one's self, unless, of course, one is Idi Amin.

the K

Likewise, when completing your Open Water class, the agency does not "certify" you (unless of course they do in fact have you committed to a mental institution)....they certificate you. Congratulations, you have been certificated, and therefore now have in your possession your Open Water certificate. :wink:

All I can say is that I've been sorely disappointed in the English language ever since I lived in the Philippines, where I studied Tagalog. Whereas Tagalog has structure and order, English seems a chaotic hack-job. :shakehead If the world decided to construct a new global language from scratch I'd vote for the Pinoy to be in charge of the project.

English is like MSWindows. It's a mess, but we hang onto it for compatibility.

-Ben

I am trying to wend my way through this thread....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom