English language: bet you don't know this!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I hadn't learned English in gradeschool, I would need to read that link. :D

Did you notice that some of the "for more information" references are foreign? Perhaps foreigners speak better English than Americans?

Of course. Everybody knew except you. Zero Mostel would not have sung 'If I were a Rich Man' had he not known.

'Went' is obviously in the past tense.
What is the present tense of 'went'?
To save time and space, it is NOT 'go'.

agilis:
Of course. Everybody knew except you.

'Went' is obviously in the past tense.
What is the present tense of 'went'?
To save time and space, it is NOT 'go'.

Yes it is.

agilis:
"Zero Mostel would not have sung 'If I were a Rich Man' had he not known."

Your sentence is a train wreck!!
:D

do it easy:
If I hadn't learned English in gradeschool, I would need to read that link. :D

Did you notice that some of the "for more information" references are foreign? Perhaps foreigners speak better English than Americans?

do it easy:
gradeschool
Did you mean grade school? You may be a grammatical genius, but my grade school did not spend a lot of time on the subjunctive mood. I enjoyed being reminded by the linked information.

Your assumption that foreigners must speak better English than Americans is deeply flawed and without merit.:coffee:

tonka97:
Did you mean grade school? You may be a grammatical genius, but my grade school did not spend a lot of time on the subjunctive mood. I enjoyed being reminded by the linked information.

Your assumption that foreigners must speak better English than Americans is deeply flawed and without merit.:coffee:

Actually, I'm not sure if I learned it in grade school or not. I did learn it when I was learning to speak foreign languages, which might be why foreigners speak better English. :wink:

This reminds me of a time that I was in Tennessee and we passed a sign for Chattanooga. We had a foreign born friend who insisted that she was pronouncing it correctly since she had actually gone to classes to learn how to speak English. :D

No, it's not. The past tense of go is usually either 'go' or 'gone', depending on precise meaning and voice.
The present tense of 'went' is 'wend'. While not archaic, 'wend' is seldom used. In vernacular demotic English, 'go' has become a substitute for the technically correct 'wend'.
I'm amazed that you were able to get certified as a scuba diver without having this kind of fundamental linguistic information. That you compounded this lapsus linguae with an incorrect positive assertion ("Yes it is") suggests that you may be on the brink of becoming some sort of DIR fanatic.

agilis:
No, it's not. The past tense of go is usually either 'go' or 'gone', depending on precise meaning and voice.
The present tense of 'went' is 'wend'. While not archaic, 'wend' is seldom used. In vernacular demotic English, 'go' has become a substitute for the technically correct 'wend'.
I'm amazed that you were able to get certified as a scuba diver without having this kind of fundamental linguistic information. That you compounded this lapsus linguae with an incorrect positive assertion ("Yes it is") suggests that you may be on the brink of becoming some sort of DIR fanatic.

Your post is moot.

The past tense of go is went.
I go.
I went.
This is pretty simple.

Good luck with your googling!
Suggest keeping your common sense when you quote others!

:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom