Engineer Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a Junior in college studying civil engineering at Roger Williams University and have recently found an interest in becoming an engineer diver. I am looking for an internship opportunity for the summer in this field of study. I found a thread on this site from not too long ago relating to structural engineer divers and found a lot of useful information. I am currently an open water certified diver.

What should I do to make myself more attractive to employers? Does anyone know of any internship opportunities available around the Boston area? I am willing to relocate if none are available.

Thanks in advance!

-Eric Doremus

Inspection work is probably the easiest way to go. Some states have their own inspectors on staff others hire an outside contractor to do their inspection work. Check with you state first then expand your search into other regions if needed. You should also consider a commercial diving course if you plan on making this your career.

^What he said.

You may want to contact Appledore Marine. They are in Portsmouth New Hampshire and, as far as I know, they are the only company in the area that actually uses degreed engineers as diving inspectors (licensed Professional Engineers or E.I.T. with plans of taking the PE exam). There may be others in Boston, but I am not aware of any.

Appledore Marine Engineering, Inc.

Even if they don’t have an internship program, you should contact them and talk to some of their engineers. They should be able to give you a lot information on your career options. You are close enough that you should be able to make an appointment and talk to some of them. They are a small company.

You should also take a look at this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/commercial-divers/335309-structural-engineer-diver.html

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone, I really appreciate it. Luis, I contacted Appledore Marine Engineering, Inc. and hope to hear from them soon!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom