Enforcement of hazmat regulations when transporting cylinders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1,000# of container(s) and contents
As to the #1000 exception you are correct .
However if you read section 4.9 ( North American standards for the transportation of dangerous goods) . You will see that class 2 compressed gases ( air up to 23.5% oxygen is class 2.2 ) if there are 10 or more small MOC ( tanks or cylinders) placards are required regardless of the weight. It does not specially say what size tank tho.

I heard there was a dive shop in North Atlanta that was stopped by the DOT and cited for transporting cylinders for commerce that were not labled with gas content. This is really unheard of for any dive shops in the area that I am aware of and DOT had to be working off a tip or other information to know what vehicle to pull over and when it was traveling. Suspicion is it was another local dive shop fed the DOT the details.

They were looking for a manifest and cylinder markings like below on each cylinder.

FA03BFC7-30B6-4C4A-BE6B-A63F5CEDA640.gif

This shop now have these labels on all of their rental cylinders.

A commercial vehicle will be subject to OSHA regulations (covering businesses) and DOT regulations (covering interstate or potential interstate commercial transport) as opposed to Joe Diver, who only has to meet their own state DOT rules.

Partly, those agencies don't expect a random "inspector" to understand which tank might or might not explode, so they just want them all secured. My friend's father was killed by the spare tire, which was unsecured under a semi trailer, and cam bouncing across the highway and through the windshield--and the driver. Freak accident, but that's why there are regs.

Personal drivers are pretty much allowed to do any kind of foolish thing they want. On the one hand, many of us store tanks in the trunk or cargo area. On the other hand...storing them in the rear seat floor puts them further inside the protected are of the cabin.

Sometime after you've crawled or walked from what used to be a perfectly good car, and things have quieted down, you may notice that anything, literally ANY THING, that was not bolted down or secured, had become a missile, and that even something like a six-pack of soda cans can punch a nasty hole in the windshield. Or someone's head.

This is why airline crew ask you to remain belted in your seats. Most folks just don't appreciate the reason why, until after they've gone bump.

Hmmm...O2 placards are easy enough, and air. How would they want trimix and nitrox marked, I wonder?

probably compressed gas oxidizing, NOS/compressed gas, NOS for the shoulder labels and oxidizing gas/non-flammable compressed gas for the vehicle placards.

probably compressed gas oxidizing, NOS/compressed gas, NOS for the shoulder labels and oxidizing gas/non-flammable compressed gas for the vehicle placards.

Not that hard to go over the weight limit on NC trips with a trailer...my tanks on the left, a friend's on the right:

2013-06-26_13-52-57_194.jpg

Right, so the DOT rules are for transporting cylinders in commerce. In commerce is the key word and tricky phrase. 2Airishuman may carry 4500 lbs of cylinders in his van if they are for his and his friends use, but the minute he rents a cylinder out, or teaches a class with the cylinder, the case could be made that that cylinder is now in commerce, as someone is getting paid. The 1000# RQ is a placarding requirement, and doesn't apply if the tanks aren't transported in commerce. If you had to manifest and placard, the most likely hazard would be Compressed Gas, N.O.S. for any breathing gas.

They were looking for a manifest and cylinder markings like below on each cylinder.

View attachment 423957

This shop now have these labels on all of their rental cylinders.

One of the problems this poses is that it is extremely difficult to buy these labels in small quantities, because "rogue labels" are considered a safety hazard as they may contribute to deliberate mislabeling of contents.

I printed up a sheet of them on the laser printer for the rare situation where I'm using a cylinder of air in the course of non-diving related commercial activities (Grade E air is great for dusting off delicate stuff).

One of the problems this poses is that it is extremely difficult to buy these labels in small quantities, because "rogue labels" are considered a safety hazard as they may contribute to deliberate mislabeling of contents.

I printed up a sheet of them on the laser printer for the rare situation where I'm using a cylinder of air in the course of non-diving related commercial activities (Grade E air is great for dusting off delicate stuff).

If I recall correctly, and entire roll of O2 stickers was something like $15. It's a lifetime supply (I've given away maybe 50 of them). They are far cheaper than scuba O2 stickers, easier to see under water, and every bit as waterproof.

Other than the one on my garage door window to warn firefighters, all of them go on tanks containing O2.

Back
Top Bottom