EMT shears - quality differences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonus, they fit in the DR pouch:

732D19A0-E0F8-4BC3-B674-57D55F9CC9AA.jpeg

I have owned both the X Shear and Leatherman Raptors for many years and use both for work. I prefer the X Shear and the Raptor has more hinge points to rust out or lock up if stored in the folded position.

Which silicone grease do y'all use?
Dow Corning 111- the same stuff I use on my espresso machines, Its miserable to get off your hands though

Just saw this thread. I buy EMT shears by the dozen off of Amazon for about $1.25/ea. Use them for everything including diving. They pretty much cut anything and last forever. If they break or rust I simply grab one out of the pile and replace it, but I've not had any break in the 20+ years I've use them.

There are essentially 4 classes of trauma shears:
1) cheap and disposable, like $5.
2) Quality but expected to be replaced multiple times a year for an EMT. $10-$15. Leading one is Madison Supply Medical Shears
3) High Quality, tough, lasts for years. X Shears, $40.
4) Leatherman Raptor, $80, shears with multi tools built in.

I go with #2 or #3 and grease it well. Obviously scuba divers don't put wear and tear on shears like an EMT, but we are also taking them underwater.

Just saw this thread. I buy EMT shears by the dozen off of Amazon for about $1.25/ea. Use them for everything including diving. They pretty much cut anything and last forever. If they break or rust I simply grab one out of the pile and replace it, but I've not had any break in the 20+ years I've use them.
How long does a pair last in salt water before you have to toss and replace it?

Do you have a link to the ones you buy on Amazon please?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom