EMT shears - quality differences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Used to have the same issue with trilobites until I disassembled from new, or when replacing, would coat them with a layer of grease, problem solved, I've not had corrosion issues since. I do periodically spray them with FGS. One of the big things to remember is to always ensure pouch is dry, trilobites or shears, before "storing", I dive weekly so only put in pouches when I'm gearing up.

Used to have the same issue with trilobites until I disassembled from new, or when replacing, would coat them with a layer of grease, problem solved, I've not had corrosion issues since. I do periodically spray them with FGS. One of the big things to remember is to always ensure pouch is dry, trilobites or shears, before "storing", I dive weekly so only put in pouches when I'm gearing up.
Same treatment(silicone grease) with trilobites from day 1.

Until the the center pin rusts out mine continue to function...the beauty of slightly serrated edges. I've found the cheap ones last long enough to validate their expense compared to pricier ones. The little pouch and retainer are the valuable part and I replace the cheap shears as needed. Still the most functional, versatile cutting tool (in and out of the water) for my kind of diving. All IMHO, YMMV...

Back in the day when I maintained an EMT license Madison Supply was kind of the go to trusted brand for shears that most of the ambulance services and fire departments used because they were good quality and lasted.

And then the Ferrari of shears was supposed to be the ER Life One Shear. But recently I have seen that now even Leatherman, SOG ect make a "tactical" shear don't know if there any better or the just add some features and raise the price. I always just used the Madison Supply, there cheap and work well

Don't know how good they are for diving but they work great as actual EMT shears.
Anyone know if the teflon coated blades help with the rusting?

Somewhat, more important is a stainless steel rivet. I have had many of these scissors fail at the rivet after one dive trip.

Xshear.com Excellent but expensive compared to the somewhat disposable shears.

I dive mostly solo up here in the PAC NW and hunt in many of the areas that are fished. So my shears are important to me..... not so much for normal monofilament but more for stainless steel leaders and snagged downrigger wire or netting. I have the Titanium shears in the link below. Don't know if they are the best or worst....but these will cut right through DR wire or wire leader. I keep one pair in my drysuit hip pocket and another pair in my BC pocket. I don't like any additional crap dangling from my BC. It is enough to deal with speargun, stringers, lights, strobes, reels, knives, slate, etc.

Both pairs of my shears are coated with a light spray of WD and then vacuumed sealed with a regular old Food Savor....and they both still are 100% sealed and in brand new condition as far as I can see., If ever needed, all I need to do is put the handle end on the heel of one hand and push forward and they will push right through the seal-a-meal bag to then be free and available. I do have wrist lanyards pre-attached so once they are free of the sealed bag I can secure.

I have never yet needed to use either pair of my shears...but feel better knowing they are there and will function as needed, if needed. Fingers crossed...

Dvf0IcW.jpg

Where are you guys getting the food grade silicone?

Where are you guys getting the food grade silicone?

Back
Top Bottom