EMT scissors with thick gloves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone out there has used EMT scissors like:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=ZGLEMTS

with thick wetsuit gloves? It seems like maybe it would be a pain to get your fingers into the handle holes with 7mil gloves. I'm basically trying to decide between those and:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=OMSKS

for an xmas gift and the only real potential difference i can see is maybe the OMS shears would be easier with thick gloves that my buddy and i are gonna be usually wearing. I really don't expect to have to use either very often but they seem like nice utilitarian tools should the need arise (and i really hope it never does). So if anyone has used either of these kinds of shears with thick gloves and has any opion that would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: btw I'm a newby so don't really know what situations call for cutting in reality but i'm going to be diving in Northern California with lots of kelp etc...

Thanks!
Chris

Is it possible for you to try them on wearing your gloves? I don't know what the actual thickness of my gloves are as I didn't buy them from a dive shop but I would guess 5mm. However, I can operate the scissors easily. With the OMS cutters, you are operating against a spring so you should try those before purchasing to see which feels right for you. If you are buying them online, that be the danger of getting something without trying it first - you may just not feel comfortable with the selection you make. I hope you don't need to be cutting the kelp - you should just flow in and out with the tide :wink:

Hello-

OMS shears are "fiskers" with an OMS sticker on them. You can go down to the local craft/ sewing store and get them. The spring is no problem and they cut circles around EMS shears.

Rick

Thanks for all the responses. I'll probably just find a local store that sells shears for other reasons and try them out. I don't plan on cutting through kelp or cutting through anything for that matter. It's just something like a Z-knife seems like it would be of little use should the need arise to tangle with kelp...i doubt i'll be coming across any fishing nets in the immediate future. Anyway thanks for the input.

Chris

I use my emt shears with drygloves. No problems, simple to use. and when they get all gross (I forget to rinse them sometimes), I'll just go buy another set for a few bucks.

The shears are no problem with thick wetsuit gloves in my experience. FWIW the occasions I've had to use them have been for cutting monofiliment fishing line, not kelp or nets.

When you're using EMT shears, make sure you pay close attention to just what you're cutting. They cut whatever they've got in their teeth - in the ads, they show them cutting pennies in half - so they also easily cut an HID light corn, a piece of your drysuit or a little chunk of you if you're a little distracted. I switched to a line cutter - it saves me time from having to inventory my fingers every time I cut myself out of a pile of mono. When I used to build boats, I used them to shear thick weaves of fiberglass cloth and mat, and there were a few time times where I was laying up cloth with red blotches on it. Lotta power in those suckers!
And no, you cannot cut a dime in half and spend the halves as nickels...

Monkey Knife-fight:
Thanks for all the responses. I'll probably just find a local store that sells shears for other reasons and try them out. I don't plan on cutting through kelp or cutting through anything for that matter. It's just something like a Z-knife seems like it would be of little use should the need arise to tangle with kelp...i doubt i'll be coming across any fishing nets in the immediate future. Anyway thanks for the input.

Chris
Kelp can easily be broken by hand. Most of my dives are on the wrecks outside of Los Angeles Harbor where monofiliment nets with 1/2" nylon line attached are found nearly every dive. A good pair of EMT shears cuts through 1/2" rope like butter. If you buy the $1.98 shears at discount stores you will find that they won't cut anything and usually break apart from rust after the first dive.

I use them with 5mm gloves without any problems, however I have small hands. A person with large paws might have problems. I prefer the EMT shears over a knife in most situations.

Back
Top Bottom