Empty boat breaks adrift stranding divers - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I guess no one wanted to be the safety pilot.

6 divers rescued in rough seas | KeysNews.com
A slew of state wildlife officers, a Sea Tow operator and a good Samaritan rescued six uninjured divers off Pickles Reef Tuesday night after their anchor line snapped and the boat was sent adrift in strong winds.
All six people were in the water, and there was no one monitoring the 23-foot 2014 Wellcraft center console topside, which complicated the rescue along with strong 20 mph plus winds and 5-foot seas, said Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission spokesman Bobby Dube.
The first of the six divers, all were from Georgia, was rescued by a good Samaritan in the area. Another diver was picked up by a FWC boat, and the other four were rescued by Sea Tow, according to FWC call records.
The Coast Guard launched a search plane from Station Miami, a response boat from Station Islamorada, and FWC launched four boats shortly after 5 p.m., according to FWC and Coast Guard spokesman Lt. Peter Bermont.
Dube said all divers were accounted for in about 30 minutes.
The dive boat was found some three miles from the scene about a half mile from the Hens and Chickens Reef, reports state.
Paramedics awaited the FWC ashore, but none of the divers were taken to the hospital.
No one was wearing life jackets, but they were able to inflate their buoyancy compensators and stay above water while rescuers rounded them up, Dube said.
Initial reports indicate that the dive boat's anchor line came out of a protective sleeve and began rubbing against a cleat or another part of the boat, which severed the line, Dube said.
The weather coupled with the lack of a lookout topside could have made the incident much worse, Dube said.
"It could have cost them their lives, but it ended well," Dube said. "They were pretty shook up, but no one was injured. It was pretty rough out there."

"No one was wearing life jackets, but they were able to inflate their buoyancy compensators and stay above water while rescuers rounded them up, Dube said."

So, are we supposed to wear PFD's when we dive now? How much extra weight is that going to add? LOL I always thought that mt BCD was a PFD while I was on the surface. One with way more lift(flotation) than any PFD I've ever worn.
RichH

"No one was wearing life jackets, but they were able to inflate their buoyancy compensators and stay above water while rescuers rounded them up, Dube said."

So, are we supposed to wear PFD's when we dive now? How much extra weight is that going to add? LOL I always thought that mt BCD was a PFD while I was on the surface. One with way more lift(flotation) than any PFD I've ever worn.
RichH
Just for divers dumb enough to leave a boat unattended.

RichH

The reporter was only looking for filler from the police report. Same as every time there's a MVA, they tell you if the passengers were wearing seat belts, even if they got t-boned by a locomotive. Same with boating incidents, they always list if the passengers were wearing life vests. BTW BCs are not Coast Guard certified flotation devices, because they have to be inflated, and will not float on their own if the lose their air. Flotation devices must float without air in them.

A type I PFD, required for commercial vessels, would require 22 lbs of extra lead to overcome. Most recreational boats require PFDs with 15.5 to 22 lbs.

Nautilus Lifeline

700_(000).jpg
700_(11).jpg

:ijs:

20 kt winds, 5 ft seas, why where they out diving in a small boat anyway?

It's that "it can't happen to me" mentality that gets folks into trouble.

Just doesn't make sense that someone couldn't have stayed atop to ensure the boat was secured; additionally assist divers upon surfacing. Darwin in affect.

I sat out a dive once in Key West (Vandenburg) b/c the operator did not leave anyone on the boat and hopped in the water. The dive op was well recommended here on SB and i was shocked that he did not leave anyone topside. I refused to get in the water. It was a six pack just like this boat. This was after the guy chided me for carrying a SMB and whistle.

Although I am a big fan of the Nautilus Lifeline and carry one most of the time, a PLB might be a wiser choice if you are anywhere near the Gulf Stream or in remote locations. The Lifeline’s VHF Radio range is limited where a PLB is satellite based and works anywhere. In this case, they may have been out of radio range of other boats when their dive started.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom