Empty boat breaks adrift stranding divers - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My understanding is that DSC is in much wider use than just US waters. It is more of a limited range issue. Any VHF radio built in the last decade or so will receive DSC if it is in range, regardless of where in the world it is. A PLB is a good choice if you are in major currents where you could be swept out of range before anyone figures out you are lost.

VHF range is largely “line of sight” and your arm can't reach very far above water. The range will be a lot less if the antenna on your boat is 10' off the water and the swell is 4' compared to an aircraft flying at 500'.

Also note that marine VHF radios are illegal to use on land so it’s not a backup for backpacking.

Edit: It is important to remember that a DSC signal to nearby boats is of much less value if they don't have a GPS onboard. They may get the alarm and look for a vessel nearby but they don't know to look for a diver in the water nor can they accurately find your position.

None of them volunteered to stay on a 20 ft boat anchored in 5 ft seas, what a bunch of wusses

I sat out a dive once in Key West (Vandenburg) b/c the operator did not leave anyone on the boat and hopped in the water. The dive op was well recommended here on SB and i was shocked that he did not leave anyone topside. I refused to get in the water.

:clapping:

New divers, pay attention. This is how you should roll.

My understanding is that DSC is in much wider use than just US waters. It is more of a limited range issue. Any VHF radio built in the last decade or so will receive DSC if it is in range, regardless of where in the world it is. A PLB is a good choice if you are in major currents where you could be swept out of range before anyone figures out you are lost.

VHF range is largely “line of sight” and your arm can't reach very far above water. The range will be a lot less if the antenna on your boat is 10' off the water and the swell is 4' compared to an aircraft flying at 500'.

Also note that marine VHF radios are illegal to use on land so it’s not a backup for backpacking.

Edit: It is important to remember that a DSC signal to nearby boats is of much less value if they don't have a GPS onboard. They may get the alarm and look for a vessel nearby but they don't know to look for a diver in the water nor can they accurately find your position.

if it is set up to receive DSC calling. I just set up my first radio to make and receive DSC calls. Radios do not come that way out of the box, and if the instructions aren't in a language the Captain speaks.....

if it is set up to receive DSC calling. I just set up my first radio to make and receive DSC calls. Radios do not come that way out of the box, and if the instructions aren't in a language the Captain speaks.....

Three questions:

1. Do you think the USCG will require operational DSC one day on inspected vessels or are they happy with re-broadcasting the message to anyone around?

2. How do you handle guests with the Lifeline onboard? Just tell them the frequency to use, make test calls, try not to get involved? :wink:

3. What is the proper protocol for a diver to call a boat using a lifeline? It's not like we have a boat name.

That would have been Peter of Bonsai diving, who was repeatedly turned into the Coast Guard for failure to maintain a proper lookout on his uninspected vessel. We finally got a Investigating Officer who cared enough to open a formal investigation, and make inquiries of the other dive boats in town, specifically asking that if we saw the boat on a mooring unattended, call the investigative branch, file a written report, and take a picture if we could. Bonsai diving disappeared very shortly after that.

Wow. Did not know that happened. Glad to hear it.

Very silly divers. How hard is to to send 2 down, then 10 minutes later the next 2 and finally, at the time the first 2 are supposed to return to the boat, the last 2 enter the water. The last 2 do enter water or leave under the boat till they are sure the first 2 are back under the boat on a safety stop. We have done this for over 20 years almost every week without a single problem.

It only extends the overall trip time by a small amount. As most of our dives are almost square profiles of about 20 to 24 metres (say 70 to 80 feet), it means we only spend about 15 extra minutes out there.

Very silly divers. How hard is to to send 2 down, then 10 minutes later the next 2 and finally, at the time the first 2 are supposed to return to the boat, the last 2 enter the water...

I concur, but unfortunately owning a boat in the US doesn’t require any knowledge of seamanship. I don’t know the details in this case but I can see how someone might invite friends out on their new boat for diving who has never witnessed an anchor slipping or thought much about safe boat handling.

I have seen a couple of new boat owners who couldn’t operate their radio, tie a bowline, or knew they had seacocks — let alone find them if a hose blew. The boat was setup enough like their car that they felt fine taking it 10 miles offshore on their first day out.

Will NEVER FORGET---1st 6 Caribbean dives wife, daughter, & myself made--in Dec 1985--were like that, in Belize......We went out, the 3 of us, with 1 other person who acted as everything ie boat captain,1st mate, DM---everything....Was on a about 20 foot boat with twin 55 HP outboards both with tiller steering....lol, & on the last morning of diving one of the engines wouldn't start after we came up from 2nd dive.....Plus, we were in 4 to 5 foot seas all the 3 days after a US cold front had blown thru........:).......Ah, those were the days ie DM when we got to the bottom on each dive would just jam & stick the anchor in the reef REAL GOOD...

We spent 2 weeks in Andros -- awhile ago. They never left anyone on the boat. During a "blue water dive," the surface current was not the same as the current going into the reef. The DM really had to swim to get to the boat! Oops!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom