Empress II or Mikumba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That really sucks. I would be furious since
my job makes us save up vacation days. And only 30 days a year, no getting them back.

All this makes me scared to book a smaller one like the Empress since it doesn't seem very popular and a very small group.

I don't think blue manta would have that issue.
I have not looked at the time frame you are going but I REALLY liked the Seven Seas when I was there, its an option and they are incredible to work with.

First time yes, second time no, instead we did some dives off the coast in that area. Great black sand muck dives. I saw my first Roughsnout Ghost Pipefish (sadly my camera had flooded before), my guide and I had a frog fish spotting contest. I spotted 5 to his 4. I cheated I just swam ahead stopping at all the habitat hotspots, he still had to spot other stuff for my dive buddy.
Did they do the Moyo Village visit? If so, how was it? And the massive amount of flying foxes at night...

Diving in Moyo is nothing special too.

We made a special trip to Moyo island, staying in Amanwana - Luxury Resort in Moyo Island, Indonesia - Aman , but missed those flying foxes. Although the diving is so-so, the tent where Princess Diana used to stay is nice. A good place for honeymooners for sure.

I heard Bima has really good muck diving. Comparable with Lembeh...

Yeah, Moyo looks alright. Probably a lot better than anywhere I've ever been.

Since the transit is so long, did it feel rushed? And did you get to dive the super famous sites in Komodo more than once?

No it didn't feel rushed, but after the dive they waste no time hauling in the skiffs and heading to the next site. We did dive some of the more famous Komodo sites twice like Crystal Rock once on way in and once on way out. Manta Alley we did twice also. We spent the whole day in Horseshoe Bay diving Cannibal Rock twice then Torpedo Alley twice. The second year we didn't dive Bima Bay but dove off the coast of Sumbawa for security reasons.

Like I side before MM2 has a really great itinerary and a top notch crew, I loved my first trip so much I booked another trip the next year. That said if you pick a top notch 7 day LOB departing from LBJ you will get to dive more of the park sites. I've done 2 trips diving from Scuba Junkies land based resort and a shorter 4 day LOB from LBJ, and loved those trips as well. Getting South from LBJ land based is not very feasable, SJ took us to Horseshoe Bay once because I was using my lobbying power of persuasion with them and the other guests. They do do trips to the Padar area occasionally and there are some really great sites there that I love. 3 Sisters are 3 submerged pinnacles and a great dive site.

I said before and will say it again both options have their merits and both options are excellent.

Reactions: Dan
I'm thinking about not going with Mermaid and doing Empress instead. I hear lots of good things about the Empress. It's also 1/3 the price and I'll get to do more diving in Komodo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom