Trip Report Emperor Explorer Live

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

also_anon_dc

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi! I'm leaving Saturday morning for 7 nights aboard the Emperor Explorer with their Best of the Maldives itinerary. I'm traveling alone and there really isn't too much info on Scubaboard about the Emperor Explorer so I figured I'd post updates here while traveling. Happy to answer any questions anyone has!

My itinerary:
Depart IAD on Emirates 8/27 11am
1.5 hour layover DXB
Arrive MLE 8/28 3pm
Board Emperor Explorer

Disembark Emperor Explorer 9/4 7am
Transfer back to MLE, at MLE pickup by speedboat to Bandos Resort for 3 nights

Return flight home 9/7 6:25pm

I'm traveling alone and there really isn't too much info on Scubaboard about the Emperor Explorer so I figured I'd post updates here while traveling. Happy to answer any questions anyone has!
I'm not aiming for the Maldives, but here are some questions that might help inform someone who is, drawing on what I've read of Maldives liveaboard diving and trip concerns in general.

1.) A list of your flights, with the duration of each, going and coming may be useful. The longest flight a person must endure is good to know. Looking at Raja Ampat options, I saw Business Class and First Class upgrades were prohibitively expensive. That true for your Maldives trip?

2.) If you use inflight Internet, especially on the long flight across the ocean, let us know how it was.

3.) It's my understanding Maldives diving tends to run deep, so max. and average depths and total dive times would be good to know. Looks like nitrox is included for nitrox. certified divers in that offering.

4.) It's my understanding Maldives liveaboards tend to offer 3 dives/day most days, not 4+. Is that true of the Emperor Explorer on your trip? From Explorer Ventures' website: "All of the dives aboard the Emperor Explorer are offered at scheduled times, up to 4 times daily including 1-2 night dives per charter (weather & itinerary permitting)."

5.) Where deep diving is concerned, it's good to know if they have 100-cf (15 liter, IIRC) tanks on offer.

6.) Their information page says "The Emperor Explorer is also equipped with a wireless router providing internet connection for a fee." Enough people need to be reachable, or even interact with a workplace on trips, that details (e.g.: cost, speed) would be good to know.

7.) If you fly in a day early as many people do on long distance trips, let us know where you stay and how you liked it. Their info. sheet lists Hulhule Island Hotel, Hotel 78, Fern Boquette and Ocean Grand Hotel as recommended.

8.) Food quality on a liveaboard is always important, since you're stuck with it.

9.) Do you see people using reef hooks or other unusual equipment?

10.) Per the website, you dive from 78.7 foot tender boats (a.k.a. dhoni). If I understand correctly, that's where your gear station is - as it's where the air and nitrox compressor is. Do you have to step down from the main vessel to the tender boat while geared up at any point?

11.) They offer both 7 and 10 night 'Best of Maldives' itineraries. Some divers prefer at least 10 nights when traveling to far flung destinations, but you chose 7? Why 7?

12.) If you see or do anything interesting topside, would be good to know.

13.) Do you at any point in your trip see a situation where understanding only English would be a problem?

14.) Any travel hassles you encounter.

1.) A list of your flights, with the duration of each, going and coming may be useful. The longest flight a person must endure is good to know. Looking at Raja Ampat options, I saw Business Class and First Class upgrades were prohibitively expensive. That true for your Maldives trip?

Emirates flies through DXB so that will be the longest flight. IAD>DXB is 13-14 hours and DXB>MLE is about 4 hours. Business/First on Emirates is just always expensive regardless of the destination (I think about $6-8k for MLE) but I hear they occasionally offer discounted upgrades at check-in which I plan to buy if they're really cheap!

7.) If you fly in a day early as many people do on long distance trips, let us know where you stay and how you liked it. Their info. sheet lists Hulhule Island Hotel, Hotel 78, Fern Boquette and Ocean Grand Hotel as recommended.
11.) They offer both 7 and 10 night 'Best of Maldives' itineraries. Some divers prefer at least 10 nights when traveling to far flung destinations, but you chose 7? Why 7?

This answers both of your questions above. I'm going on this trip because I have 3 weeks off before starting a new job in mid-September. I had already booked Bonaire September 10-17 so I was looking for a non-Caribbean liveaboard that I could get to and back from in about 10 days (I'm getting home on September 8th and leave the 10th for Bonaire). I had resigned myself to booking a land-based trip but then saw the Emperor Explorer leaves on Sunday the 28th. I can't leave DC until Saturday the 27th so I emailed Explorer Ventures and confirmed the boat doesn't actually leave port until Monday morning so if my flight is delayed I'll have some wiggle room. All that's to say that I had dates that weren't flexible and didn't have many options to choose from. If I had the ability to choose I would have chosen the 10 night trip and also arrived earlier.

I think that's all of your questions I can answer now. I'll follow up when I have answers for the others!

Thanks, sounds great. That kind of detail in trip reports helps the next guy considering your destination understand what's involved, what the options are and also where his/her perferences and needs (and decision-making process) depart from yours.

It's been posted recently that the Maldives are a good place to see plenty of sharks, and a range of species might be seen. That'll be a nice contrast with Bonaire...where I've had 10 trips and never saw a single shark!

Richard.

I hear they occasionally offer discounted upgrades at check-in which I plan to buy if they're really cheap!

I'm all checked in and upgraded to business class! I'm super excited because Emirates flies the double decker A380s out of IAD and business is on the upper deck/second floor (I don't know what it's called on a plane?) of the plane! It was roughly the same cost to upgrade to business as it was for my initial economy ticket so I thought it was reasonable and worth it on a 13 hour flight.

I'm all packed and heading to the airport tomorrow morning! Thanks to this thread on Scubaboard I have a new dive duffel and can fit everything in my checked bag and it comes in at 47 pounds. I love the obnoxious colors. I used to have to put my clothes in my carry on due to weight so this is a welcome change.

IMG_3073.jpeg

Been to Maldives twice.. both times on the Emperor fleet. First time did the Bestbof Maldives itinerary. Second time did the deep South. Both were good.. the latter had more channel dives.
Will try to answer some of the questions below.

I'm not aiming for the Maldives, but here are some questions that might help inform someone who is, drawing on what I've read of Maldives liveaboard diving and trip concerns in general.

I usually do the trip when im visiting India.. its a relatively painless 3-4 hr flight from Delhi to Male.

2.) If you use inflight Internet, especially on the long flight across the ocean, let us know how it was.

3.) It's my understanding Maldives diving tends to run deep, so max. and average depths and total dive times would be good to know. Looks like nitrox is included for nitrox. certified divers in that offering.

Dives are definately deeper than the Caribbean. Most channel dives have the reef at 100ft or so Nitrox is very strongly recommended. Air will cut down your NDL times due due to the deep dives.

4.) It's my understanding Maldives liveaboards tend to offer 3 dives/day most days, not 4+. Is that true of the Emperor Explorer on your trip? From Explorer Ventures' website: "All of the dives aboard the Emperor Explorer are offered at scheduled times, up to 4 times daily including 1-2 night dives per charter (weather & itinerary permitting)."

Yes.. usually its 3 dives a day.. i think its because of the deeper dives in general and boats also have to travel at night from one Atoll to another. I recall each trip had 1 night dive where we did a 4th dive right beneath the boat.. they had lamps at the back to attract Mantas.. so all u had to do was sit at the shallow bottom amd watch the Mantas roll above you.

5.) Where deep diving is concerned, it's good to know if they have 100-cf (15 liter, IIRC) tanks on offer.

Yes - some larger tanks available and recommend reserving them. I always do that :)

6.) Their information page says "The Emperor Explorer is also equipped with a wireless router providing internet connection for a fee." Enough people need to be reachable, or even interact with a workplace on trips, that details (e.g.: cost, speed) would be good to know.

First trip i took the internet package on the boat and found it to be quite slow.. good for emails only. 2nd time i got a data package + sim at the airport for almost the same price.. speeds were better. Apart from the night when u are crossing over to different Atolls, during the day you are usually close to one of the resort islands so the wireless data was always there.

From Delhi i usually fly the day of and fly back same day as well. No jet lag .. wouldnt be a bad idea to come a day before if u want avoid the jet lag.

8.) Food quality on a liveaboard is always important, since you're stuck with it.

Food was decent on both trips.. buffer style but that was pre-covid. Very similar to the Caribbeann liveaboards in quality i.e. good but doent expectv michelin stars :) there is one dinner where they do bbq on an deserted island beach.. lobster, shrimp, fish etc..also fresh fish cerviche if u want to do line fishing from the boat. the chef did a cake for my birthday which was a nice personal gesture.

Definately need a reef hook and have to know how to deploy a SMB. They provide both and show you how to do it. I learnt how do it on my first trip. Most channel dives, u drop in the water to the top of the reef wall next to the channel at ~ 100ft or so in an incoming current. Hook ur reef hook, put some air in ur bcd and just hang out watching the parade of sharks. Once ur NDL or air reaches the limit, you unhook and the current takes you inside the Atoll.. you send your SMB and gradually work ur way up with the usual safety stop. By the time u surface, the Dhoni/support boat is there to pick you up.

10.) Per the website, you dive from 78.7 foot tender boats (a.k.a. dhoni). If I understand correctly, that's where your gear station is - as it's where the air and nitrox compressor is. Do you have to step down from the main vessel to the tender boat while geared up at any point?

All ur gear is on the Dhoni including wetsuits. Prior to the dive, the Dhoni simply pulls up next to the main boat and you simply step from the back of the boat to the dhoni. Suit up and the dhoni drops you off at the dive site. Upon completing the dive, the dhoni picks u up .. make sure u send ur SMB when u drift away from the reef in the currents as they can move quite fast and carry u far. After all divers are picked up, the Dhoni takes you back to main yatch.. you get back on from the back and the Dhoni moves away and follows the main boat to the next site. The compressor is on the Dhoni so u never hear any noise on the main boat during refills.

Both my trips were 7 day trips.. and i was fine with that. With the deeper dives it starts to get tiring towards the end of the trip. Also after a while all those sharks lose their appeal :) this is not like Raja Ampat in terms of diversity !!

12.) If you see or do anything interesting topside, would be good to know.
Not much to do other than stay at one of the many resort islands.. the water villa experience is quite nice but pricey. Have your non-diving partner join you after the trip to stay a few nights in a water villa and get that checked off ur bucket list.

13.) Do you at any point in your trip see a situation where understanding only English would be a problem?

Nope. There enough ppl on the boat and crew that speak english. Also the cruise director is usually english speaking westener.

14.) Any travel hassles you encounter.

None in both trips.. i am actually going to try and sneak in my 3rd trip later this year.

I got off the boat this morning and I'm at Bandos Resort where is it absolutely pouring so I thought I'd take a minute to answer the rest of your questions. Interest in my post seemed limited so I won't do a full lengthy trip report. If people have other questions though I'm happy to answer them!

Actually I'd classify most dives as not deep. To me deep means 100+ feet. I'd say most dives were max 75 feet with about 2 around 90 feet. The liveaboard I did in the Red Sea was definitely deeper. We did 19 dives total. Dive time was capped at 60 minutes (by Maldives diving rules). Current was really really strong on a few dives so those lasted 30-40 minutes for most of us.

4.) It's my understanding Maldives liveaboards tend to offer 3 dives/day most days, not 4+. Is that true of the Emperor Explorer on your trip?

We did 6 days of diving. 3 should have been 4 dive days but the dhoni's engine broke one day so we missed one dive. The others were 3 with 2 on the last day. Only one night dive which surprised me, I thought there would be more.

Yes they have 15 liter tanks

There is wifi on the boat. It is $30 for 5gb. I failed in my pre-trip planning and didn't realize my cell phone provider (Verizon) doesn't provide data service in The Maldives. I've never had a problem with it before and planned to just use their $10 a day international plan but that wasn't an option. Everyone else on the boat was from non-US countries so they just bought SIM cards but of course Americans can't do that. The boat's wifi was sufficient for email/social media etc. but definitely wouldn't be acceptable for work stuff or anything where large file sizes are needed. I'm not sure what the solution is? Maybe other major US phone service providers offer data in the Maldives and this is just a Verizon thing? I'll have to do more research about this if I go back.

The food was okay. It was edible but definitely not fantastic and I got really sick of the same exact breakfast every days.

Yes we used reef hooks on at least 1 dive a day. The boat has more than enough if you don't have one. I had never used on before and it was pretty easy. My dive guide helped me the first time so i knew what to do but after that it was easy enough to get the hang of. They also make you deploy your SMB the first dive.

All of your dive gear is set up on the dhoni which is like a large mobile dive deck. It's really convenient. You'll set up your gear on the dhoni when you first arrive and then it stays there the whole trip. The dive briefings occur on the main boat then you get on the dhoni in your swimsuit and gear up. Just make sure you bring all your gear with you onto the dhoni or you won't dive! It won't return to the main boat until after the dive. There is a ladder down from the main boat to the dhoni then you get back onto the dhoni after the dive using another ladder.

None at all. Everyone here speaks English and so far I'm the only American I've encountered. The other people on the dive boat were from the UK, Singapore, France and Luxembourg.

All in all it was a great dive trip and I would come back to a different route on the Maldives and probably plan on trying a different boat though I'm open to others in the Emperor fleet. The weather has been gray and rainy the entire time so that puts a literal damper on things. I've seen huge mantas, rays and sharks that I would never seen the Caribbean so that's another reason to come here! And gotten great experience in current and diving with limited visibility. I think we're truly spoiled in the Caribbean so I'm glad I came and brushed up on diving in less than ideal conditions.

Great to hear that you liked it so much. We did two May LOBs and stayed on for a week in abandons once and once in Dhighuarh in South Ari Atoll, where it rained a lot.

How many manta sites did you visit and do you remember the name(s) of them ? And, did you see any whalesharks ?

Thanks again for starting this very interesting thread.

How many manta sites did you visit and do you remember the name(s) of them ? And, did you see any whalesharks ?
The mantas were probably the most amazing part. We did two dives at manta cleaning stations. The first was at Mahibadhoo Rock where we used reef hooks to hook in near the station at 50ft and just stayed there for 60 minutes. There were 5 mantas including one huge female that was pregnant. The second was our last dive at Lankan Finolhu where we swam out to a point and then just floated around 60-70ft and observed the cleaning station for 45ish minutes then shallowed up over the reef for the safety stop. I also saw a peacock mantis shrimp burrowing in some rock on the cleaning station and that was really cool. There were 3-4 mantas here, smaller than at the first site but still awesome.

We didn't see any whale sharks. We did one dive at Lux Beyru trying to find them but saw nothing. That was still a nice relaxed dive though.

What liveaboards were you on? Would you recommend them?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom