Trip Report Emperor Explorer Live

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got off the boat this morning and I'm at Bandos Resort where is it absolutely pouring so I thought I'd take a minute to answer the rest of your questions. Interest in my post seemed limited so I won't do a full lengthy trip report. If people have other questions though I'm happy to answer them!

Actually I'd classify most dives as not deep. To me deep means 100+ feet. I'd say most dives were max 75 feet with about 2 around 90 feet. The liveaboard I did in the Red Sea was definitely deeper. We did 19 dives total. Dive time was capped at 60 minutes (by Maldives diving rules). Current was really really strong on a few dives so those lasted 30-40 minutes for most of us.

We did 6 days of diving. 3 should have been 4 dive days but the dhoni's engine broke one day so we missed one dive. The others were 3 with 2 on the last day. Only one night dive which surprised me, I thought there would be more.

Yes they have 15 liter tanks

There is wifi on the boat. It is $30 for 5gb. I failed in my pre-trip planning and didn't realize my cell phone provider (Verizon) doesn't provide data service in The Maldives. I've never had a problem with it before and planned to just use their $10 a day international plan but that wasn't an option. Everyone else on the boat was from non-US countries so they just bought SIM cards but of course Americans can't do that. The boat's wifi was sufficient for email/social media etc. but definitely wouldn't be acceptable for work stuff or anything where large file sizes are needed. I'm not sure what the solution is? Maybe other major US phone service providers offer data in the Maldives and this is just a Verizon thing? I'll have to do more research about this if I go back.

The food was okay. It was edible but definitely not fantastic and I got really sick of the same exact breakfast every days.

Yes we used reef hooks on at least 1 dive a day. The boat has more than enough if you don't have one. I had never used on before and it was pretty easy. My dive guide helped me the first time so i knew what to do but after that it was easy enough to get the hang of. They also make you deploy your SMB the first dive.

All of your dive gear is set up on the dhoni which is like a large mobile dive deck. It's really convenient. You'll set up your gear on the dhoni when you first arrive and then it stays there the whole trip. The dive briefings occur on the main boat then you get on the dhoni in your swimsuit and gear up. Just make sure you bring all your gear with you onto the dhoni or you won't dive! It won't return to the main boat until after the dive. There is a ladder down from the main boat to the dhoni then you get back onto the dhoni after the dive using another ladder.

None at all. Everyone here speaks English and so far I'm the only American I've encountered. The other people on the dive boat were from the UK, Singapore, France and Luxembourg.

All in all it was a great dive trip and I would come back to a different route on the Maldives and probably plan on trying a different boat though I'm open to others in the Emperor fleet. The weather has been gray and rainy the entire time so that puts a literal damper on things. I've seen huge mantas, rays and sharks that I would never seen the Caribbean so that's another reason to come here! And gotten great experience in current and diving with limited visibility. I think we're truly spoiled in the Caribbean so I'm glad I came and brushed up on diving in less than ideal conditions.

I'm sorry that you didn't have better viz. I've done 4 itineraries and the viz was good on almost all of the dives.

You're right about the training for current diving. That has stood me in good stead at a number of locales. I've gone from mot caring for current to loving it.

I was on Carpe Vita. I really enjoyed this boat and it sounds like the food on it is better than your boat. Not brilliant food but good. That said, I did get a bit tired of pasta.

The liveaboard I did in the Red Sea was definitely deeper.
Very useful detail, thanks! Having e-mail access onboard is a big plus for many people.

Since you've done a liveaboard now at both the Red Sea and the Maldives, care to compare the experiences? I'm thinking more in terms of the destinations, though some might be curious about how the individual boat operations differed.

Richard.

Very useful detail, thanks! Having e-mail access onboard is a big plus for many people.

Since you've done a liveaboard now at both the Red Sea and the Maldives, care to compare the experiences? I'm thinking more in terms of the destinations, though some might be curious about how the individual boat operations differed.

Richard.

I haven't been on also-anon's boat but I find the dhoni system brilliant. It makes everything so comfortable and easy.

On Carpe Vita, the cabins are huge, so also a lovely experience.

In Red Sea, we were on the Aggressor that burned down. Not that sailing though, a much earlier sailing. I found the boat to be small and uncomfortable. Cabins were tiny but I've been on other boats like that too, so not uncommon. The dive deck was very cramped so gearing up or down was a pita too.

In any event, that's my comparison. I know you didn't ask me but . . .😄

I look forward to reading also-anon's comparison too!

Sound brilliant !

My husband and I did a Blue O 2 trip, another on Emperor Leo and another on Emperor Virgo. I also did a solo trip on the Emperor Atoll in December. We loved them all, there were several maintenance issues with the Atoll and it’s Dhoni last December, but the cruise director handled it superbly and the other passengers were all really great company.

The cabins on the Atoll were very tiny but the food and the crew were fantastic. The boats on the Emperor fleet are getting older, but the price and their customer service more than make up for this.

The Maldives is really accessible for us from the UK, quicker to get to than Indonesia and the Philippines. Would go back on any of these boats tomorrow !

Since you've done a liveaboard now at both the Red Sea and the Maldives, care to compare the experiences?
I was thinking about this a bit since someone on the boat asked me the same question. The countries are similar in that they're both Muslim so almost no beef and pork is served, I've yet to see an American here in the Maldives and I never saw one in Hurghada. I think the locals regard a woman traveling alone as an interesting novelty.

Apart from that the diving is very different. I mentioned the depth above but I think another interesting difference is how remote the BDE route is in Egypt. I don't think we were every anywhere in the Maldives where I couldn't see a resort or a local island in the distance. Maybe that's different on far north/south routes? Also the local islands are... not the most idyllic view. Some are very industrial and have lots of trash/debris piled up along the shore. There's also unique dive sites in the Maldives that are created by these conditions though. Early in the week we dove at Fish Factory which is where the remnants from a fish factory are discarded into the ocean and everything is HUGE. The stingrays were at least 6ft in diameter! Another dive we did at Alimatha Jetty where the resort used to feed the nurse sharks so now there are 20+ huge nurse sharks living there.

In the Red Sea I was on Blue Horizon (Blue O Two) and the boat was really similar to Emperor Explorer. Both hold about 22 people and the cabins are nice and spacious. There were only about 10 people on each boat when I went though. I suspect both would feel cramped if they were fully booked.

In the Red Sea I was on Blue Horizon (Blue O Two) and the boat was really similar to Emperor Explorer. Both hold about 22 people and the cabins are nice and spacious. There were only about 10 people on each boat when I went though. I suspect both would feel cramped if they were fully booked.
How crowded are the dive sites in Maldives? That's one thing I really noticed in the Red Sea (especially north) was the huge number of boats (relative to the Caribbean).

How crowded are the dive sites in Maldives?
They aren't crowded at all. I don't remember seeing another group of divers underwater at all when I was there- the same with the Red Sea too. I think I just went in the off season to both places though.

I am enjoying very much this information as I am thinking about a group trip to the Maldives in 2025. I do have a question, for anyone reading: there was evidently a major coral die off in 2016 and I'm wondering what the current state of the coral, and marine life in general is compared to before the die off. Thanks for any replies. Also, regarding the remarks about current diving, did the boat arrange for these to be drift dives, or were you expected to fin against the current?

I am enjoying very much this information as I am thinking about a group trip to the Maldives in 2025. I do have a question, for anyone reading: there was evidently a major coral die off in 2016 and I'm wondering what the current state of the coral, and marine life in general is compared to before the die off. Thanks for any replies. Also, regarding the remarks about current diving, did the boat arrange for these to be drift dives, or were you expected to fin against the current?

Major coral die off in the Red Sea?

I was there in 2021. Coral in spots such as Shark and Yolanda, Shag Rock, Brothers, etc was just fantastic. Much better than Bonaire west side (2022) and the GBR (2019).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom