Emily damage in Akumal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A friend of mine lives in Akumal, and I saw him the other day. He said that all of the trees near the beaches were blown down, and that there was extensive damage. Is he exagerating?
Has anyone been near The Akumal Beach Resort and Akumal bay who could give an accurate report? :06:
Aside from Cozumel diving, Akumal is one of my favorite places in the world. I have my fingers crossed.

I've seen photos of the area on other forums, and Akumal, Puerto Aventuras and Xpu Ha looked pretty bad. It is entirely possible he is correct. I don't mean to say that they are "ruined", but the foliage took a huge hit. Fortunately, other than palapa roofs and windows, it appears that the buildings are in pretty good shape. I too love Akumal. I went there the first time in 1980. Things have changed, but Lol Ha beach bar still stands - currently minus part of the palapa. On that first trip to Akumal (I was 12), I couldn't figure out how the palm trees on the beach ended up growing sideways. I don't think I understood the true force of hurricanes. Those trees are completely gone now, I think in the hurricane that destroyed the first Lol Ha restaurant in the late 80's. In June, when I was there, there were some pretty large palms on the beach. I am sure they will regrow quickly with all that beautiful tropical weather. PM me if you'd like a link to some of the photos to the area, and I'll find them for you.

Just got back from Half Moon Bay in Akumal today. There is extensive damage to some structures but for the most part it seems to be limited to Palapa roofs and clay tile roofs. The landscape is quite scarred in the area but most everything else is ok. All electricity and phones are restored. We didn't have any problems what so ever and had a great time.

I saw those locogringo fotos. Things do look pretty good. My friend who lives in Akumal told me that there was a lot of damage to vegetation, but he was very unconcerned about it. So, I think that I will start planning our next trip! :wink:

I would like to see pics of Puerto Aventuras if anyone has some????

Check out my photo of Puerto and PaaMul at: Hurricane Emily

Most of the damage in Akumal was to the flora. In most cases the beaches are better than ever. On reef dives in PA most people don't notice the damage to the reef until I point out the damage... and it's really not that bad.

Wow! Those are amazing photos! The damage around PA is pretty severe. How did people's yachts take it? Or did they move them out in advance?
Anyway, thanks for the great shots!

We spent a couple of days at Akumel last week. Some damage to palapas roofs, some trees stripped of vegetation a few trees knocked down. Paamul took it a little worse. But both are up, running and far from devastated.

We snorkeled Akumel and saw quite a bit of coral damage in the bay south of the boat channel, but plenty of fish. North end of the bay looked pretty good to my inexperienced eyes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom